Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I need to buy a new mobile since my old one has died (it was about 3/4 years old). I'd like a pretty good one since I probably won't replace it for a few years, however I've been 'out of the loop' so to speak and don't really have much of an idea of what's good and what's best avoided in terms of models.

Furthermore, I'm on a Virgin Mobile pay as you go service at the moment, and I'm also considering changing to another contract. However, I don't use my phone excessively; I very rarely use more than about £10 credit per month, so pay as you go may still be the better option, however I assume this would make a new phone more expensive. Who are the best service providers out there at the moment?

I probably wouldn't want to spend more than about £150 on the phone... anyone got any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks,

ReputationRep:
    Nokia 8310.

That's what you want - The one with the blue cover.

ReputationRep:
    Never ever buy cheap, aka Siemens A50. Im stuck with that phone and none of the Carphone warehouse places want to do a swap in.

ReputationRep:
    8310? outdated.

6100 is a good standard phone. nowt too speshul.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahaydenuk)
    Hi,

I need to buy a new mobile since my old one has died (it was about 3/4 years old). I'd like a pretty good one since I probably won't replace it for a few years, however I've been 'out of the loop' so to speak and don't really have much of an idea of what's good and what's best avoided in terms of models.

Furthermore, I'm on a Virgin Mobile pay as you go service at the moment, and I'm also considering changing to another contract. However, I don't use my phone excessively; I very rarely use more than about £10 credit per month, so pay as you go may still be the better option, however I assume this would make a new phone more expensive. Who are the best service providers out there at the moment?

I probably wouldn't want to spend more than about £150 on the phone... anyone got any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks,
    £10 a month, no point going onto contract, as the minimum line rental on all networks is £15, and only then do you get poor handsets for free. To get the better handsets, you would have to go on line rentals of £25 and above. I think you are best sticking to PAYG, what is it that you are mainly doing? Texting or ringing? Who are most of your mates on (network wise)? What type of phone is it your after? Nokia? Camera? Flip? Etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McGeadie)
    Never ever buy cheap, aka Siemens A50. Im stuck with that phone and none of the Carphone warehouse places want to do a swap in.
    I have a Siemens M35i, which is totally fine apart from the battery being dead (lasts about 10 mins talktime), do you think anyone would trade that in (since the phone, itself, is in mint condition)?

ReputationRep:
    If your budget is around £150, they do the Nokia 6610i that has a camera, and is quite decent, this handset is £129.99 on 02.

I'll be back in about 20 minutes, off to have my tea.

ReputationRep:
    There is a very cheap one for £30 moment, its a video phone made by NEC. The snag is you must buy £15 of talk time a month so its not ideal for you at all. However it is possible to unlock and maybe you could even write your own operating system for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahaydenuk)
    Hi,

Thanks,
    If you plan to stick to Virgin Mobile, then the Nokia 3100 is the perfect phone for you, if you don't give a monkeys about having a camera.

ReputationRep:
    Ohhh... this looks nice:

http://www.directmobileaccessories.c...roducts_id=736

Can anyone find it cheaper? It's amazing the price ranges you can find; some places are charging over £200 for a SIM free version of this model! It looks really cool and I know the T610 is good, any thoughts on this one?

ReputationRep:
    i found this site, it looks quite cheap

edit: the t630 is an amazing £3 cheaper

ReputationRep:
    http://www.cyren-communications.co.u...ct_detail&p=23

How about this? Pretty much identical to the t630 except for the fact that the camera on the t630 is slightly better.

You may be interested in getting a phone on O2 PAYG because they have a Bolt-On for £9.99 a month where you get 50 Anytime minutes and 50 text messages for free. I'm planning to get this once my Vodafone Anytime 30 contract is finished in December.

ReputationRep:
    You should check out ebay, you can get the phone, probably brand new, for a fraction of the high street price, usually anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Caddie)
    You should check out ebay, you can get the phone, probably brand new, for a fraction of the high street price, usually anyway.
    I was going to say that as well but it depends on how well raheydenuk trusts it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jediknight007)
    I was going to say that as well but it depends on how well raheydenuk trusts it.
    How's your Z600?

ReputationRep:
    i have a nokia 6610 , pretty decent . no camera though .

if u have money to burn then get the mobile my dad has , the new XDA model , excelent cell fone

ReputationRep:
    If your interested I could sell you my Motorola V600 sim free for £200.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infekt)
    i have a nokia 6610 , pretty decent . no camera though .

if u have money to burn then get the mobile my dad has , the new XDA model , excelent cell fone
    My dad's got about five XDA II's since his company uses them in one of their mobile data services, and there're hundreds lying around the office, however they're far too bulky for me to carry around everywhere. I want something Ericsson T630-size.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    If your interested I could sell you my Motorola V600 sim free for £200.
    Don't really intend to spend that much and my dad says not to buy a Motorola phone! But thanks anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    How's your Z600?

Lol, you remember? Well, I'm getting bored of flip-phones already! Waste of effort to always flip it up! I might sell mine on ebay when my contract runs out in December and get myself a nice small normal phone instead. Don't want a camera now since it will be generations before we have one as good as proper digital cameras, and ones that have more memory. Just one want that's small with a high resolution colour screen with all the usuals.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.