German and French at Durham and Durham as a whole - Thoughts from current students?

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016
Admissions Testing Service Exams Discussion Rules - Please read before posting! 02-11-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm currently in the midst of trying to pick my uni choices to study modern languages. I know for certain that I'm applying to Oxford and Nottingham, but I'm struggling to choose my other three. I'm going to open days for Exeter and Warwick soon so I'll see what I think of those, my real dilemma is whether to apply for Durham or Saint Andrews.

I attended a Durham open day a couple of months ago. I went with very high expectations and was pretty disappointed. I heard a lot about how the uni as a whole doesn't really care about staff and students and takes every opportunity to increase prices, and the lecturers seemed uninspiring. I felt like they weren't really putting any effort in. However, the uni seems to rank well for student satisfaction (and obviously it's well-ranked academically) plus looking at the course it's very close to being exactly what I want (I especially like the look of the cultural modules taught in the target language) and I really like the collegiate system. So, did I just go to a bad open day (admittedly, I was ill and I'd got up at 4am so that probably didn't help) or are the course and university actually not great? I'd love to hear from students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CivilAsAnOrange)
    Hi,
    I'm currently in the midst of trying to pick my uni choices to study modern languages. I know for certain that I'm applying to Oxford and Nottingham, but I'm struggling to choose my other three. I'm going to open days for Exeter and Warwick soon so I'll see what I think of those, my real dilemma is whether to apply for Durham or Saint Andrews.

I attended a Durham open day a couple of months ago. I went with very high expectations and was pretty disappointed. I heard a lot about how the uni as a whole doesn't really care about staff and students and takes every opportunity to increase prices, and the lecturers seemed uninspiring. I felt like they weren't really putting any effort in. However, the uni seems to rank well for student satisfaction (and obviously it's well-ranked academically) plus looking at the course it's very close to being exactly what I want (I especially like the look of the cultural modules taught in the target language) and I really like the collegiate system. So, did I just go to a bad open day (admittedly, I was ill and I'd got up at 4am so that probably didn't help) or are the course and university actually not great? I'd love to hear from students.
    Hi! I study French and Spanish at Durham so I'll try and give my honest opinions

What you've heard about increased costs is definitely true. I can't speak for staff, but as a student I know that the university accommodation prices seem to go up every year to high figures (over £7,000 for one academic year of catered accommodation (28/9 weeks), which is what most students have in their first year). There is a self-catered package, but only two of the colleges do that so a lot of people apply to those and it's competitive to get in. Having said that, I'm now living out in my second year in private rented accommodation and whilst I thought I'd be better off, I don't actually think I am. Buying my own food seems to be costing a lot more than I expected, so in a way going for catered accommodation is quite good - also what I like about university halls is that the bills are all included, whereas now I'm privately renting and having to sort all that out as well. So in some respects the high price of college accommodation annoys me, but now I've experienced both living in and living out, it does seem a lot more understandable. It feels less independent living in college and sometimes it's a bit institutionalised, but it's convenient.

From my experience, the lecturers I've had for my cultural modules have been quite mixed. Some are great at their research and have published loads of stuff, but they're not as good at actually teaching (and a few seem to care a lot more about their own research than teaching students). The French lecturers in particular can seem a bit cold and unapproachable - I've found the Spanish ones on the other hand more upbeat and friendly. As for the languages modules (grammar and oral classes, taught in seminars), the teachers are so friendly and definitely a lot more supportive. Most of them are natives and I always enjoyed those classes. It's a shame that there aren't more of them (you only get 2 hours of language practice per week, for post A-Level languages).

It's good to know you're interested in the cultural modules though! There's a big focus on literature and film, so sometimes it feels like I'm not actually doing a languages degree (obviously we read the texts in the language but most of the analysis and teaching is done in English). There are a few cultural modules that are taught and examined in the target language, but most are taught in English. It feels at times that an English Literature student could be doing the course. Some people I know find this problematic, but if you're interested in that kind of stuff, Durham is a good choice! There's a wide range of modules particularly in 2nd and final year, so you can cater what you're learning to your interests.

I hope some of this helped! If you need to know anything else, let me know and I'll respond as soon as I can

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.