Is Mourinho still a top manager?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Let's be honest, even when Chelsea won the league they were poor after Christmas and limped over the line as there was no competition.

He then had one of the worst transfer windows in Chelsea's history, lost the Community Shield to Wenger and fell out with everyone before being sacked with Chelsea only a few points outside the relegation zone.

He's finally got the job he always wanted with us but after a poor pre season, numerous players refusing to join and a very indifferent start to the season you have to wonder if he's still a world class manager.

He has no idea what his best XI is, he's constantly chopping and changing the formation and seems scared to drop certain players who are a big influence in the dressing room (Ivanovic & Rooney) despite their awful performances.

His decisions have been baffling. He gives Carrick a new contract and never puts him in the squad, he spends £90m on Pogba to play him out of position, he gets his tactics completely wrong in the derby and has already drained the confidence out of lots of our players.

He has no experience of dealing with a crisis and i'm not convinced that he'll be able to turn things around. I'm starting to think that what happened with Chelsea last season wasn't just a blip.

ReputationRep:
    Reckon this thread will have 10+ pages by the end of the season, majority of it being shitposts (including this one)

ReputationRep:
    Has he ever been? Or has he just managed to find himself in the right place at clubs with already strong squads (e.g. Real Madrid are going to win trophies whoever they have as manager)?

ReputationRep:
    Even though I dislike the guy, you cant deny his quality. He's won multiple trophies everywhere he's been and his tactics ae usually on point. Wait until the end of the season before judging, as much as I hate to say it he will probably win something

ReputationRep:
    Mourinho is a class manager. Its just that United are ****.

ReputationRep:
    He's still a top class manager, things don't always work out. He had hes peak at inter and real madrid. Never gonna see that ever again. And as for pep, hes also going to go down

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    Has he ever been? Or has he just managed to find himself in the right place at clubs with already strong squads (e.g. Real Madrid are going to win trophies whoever they have as manager)?
    Real Madrid hadn't won La Liga for three years and hadn't won the Copa del Rey since 1993 when Mourinho took over.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    Reckon this thread will have 10+ pages by the end of the season, majority of it being shitposts (including this one)
    You still owe me an apology for being right about LVG

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Still better than Wenger

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KloppOClock)
    Mourinho is a class manager. Its just that United are ****.
    But it's not like he's coming in at Utd midseason where he's just taking over from someone else's team. He was appointed early on in the summer and identified the areas he thought needed improving and had his transfer business sorted out before August. If United are **** then surely he has to take a lot of the blame?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skkc16)
    But it's not like he's coming in at Utd midseason where he's just taking over from someone else's team. He was appointed early on in the summer and identified the areas he thought needed improving and had his transfer business sorted out before August. If United are **** then surely he has to take a lot of the blame?
    United are a sinking ship, If mourinho can't save them, I doubt anyone else could.

First Moyes, then Van Gaal, now Mourinho?

ReputationRep:
    Klopp is better, Pep is better, Simeone is better Enrique is better he is still a top manager but overrated for sure

ReputationRep:
    Whether you like him or not, he remains the most accomplished and successful manager of all time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KloppOClock)
    United are a sinking ship, If mourinho can't save them, I doubt anyone else could.

First Moyes, then Van Gaal, now Mourinho?
    Pep certainly could. He would have the guts to drop Rooney at least

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skkc16)
    Pep certainly could. He would have the guts to drop Rooney at least
    Perhaps, but there aren't any managers they could realistically attract who are better then mourinho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    Yeah because they were winning trophies left, right and centre before he took over, and it's not like they hadn't missed out on the UCL Semi finals for 5 straight years before right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    You still owe me an apology for being right about LVG

Posted from TSR Mobile
    LvG set a great foundation (Rashford, Martial, Blind at CB etc.) and won us a cup. I have no regrets about the LvG two year spell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    LvG set a great foundation (Rashford, Martial, Blind at CB etc.) and won us a cup. I have no regrets about the LvG two year spell.
    Good joke

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Mourinho's career has always been overplayed, his only genuinely impressive achievement was winning the champions league with Inter.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't you want Mourinho? And now you're already questioning his credentials five leagues games into the season? If anything is a joke around here...

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 23, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Football articles

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.