Is Mourinho still a top manager?

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    Arsene Wenger is proving better than him so far

ReputationRep:
    He's finished imo, but so long as Utd get in the top four he'll be saved.

ReputationRep:
    ATM, he is but that title would be in jeopardy if he does the standard thing at United.

He took over from LVG and a squad which was low on confidence and restricted by the rules of the old regime which tbf, he has lightened up those rules and made it a more happier place according to reports. He's been supported by the Board who gave him the signings he wanted and supported him in his decision - rightly, maybe - to oust Schweinsteiger from the squad and sending young players on loan (Borthwick-Jackson was one I hoped he wouldn't send out so we didn't have to rely on Rojo). Pre-season wasn't ideal but that was planned before hand plus his comments prior to competitive fixtures were good including on Rooney, dismissing his future as a midfielder and limiting his roles.

Yet, the City defeat has began a negative spiral of form and it seems, a return of low confidence that seems to be re-appearing. Mourinho hasn't helped himself with the lack of firm decisions and most surprisingly for me, the lack of a plan on playing formations and personnel. I'm baffled he hasn't thought about how he would set-up the team and instead he seems to be scratching his head in a sort of 'I didn't think it was this bad' way and digging out players whilst mildly accepting his own responsibility.

It's very early days and he will get time, that's for sure but realistically IMO this is the last big job he will get in England. He needs to make it a success otherwise he'll be working in those leagues he subtly criticised Guardiola for where the kitman can win the league.

ReputationRep:
    Since Inter? Nah. Failed at Madrid and failed at his second run at Chelsea and appears to be failing now.

Obviously there's still time to save this season, but I believe it could depend a lot on how well they take their next few difficult fixtures.

ReputationRep:
    Frankly it looks like the magic left him by the last year of his Real stint and from about January 2015 it s fair to say he's been a bit of a joke, like he has been replaced by an impersonater and no one noticed.

Im not particularly bothered what people think but I want him out of United as soon as possible, shouldnt even have been apointed in the first place so its just correcting an unfortunate mistake.

ReputationRep:
    He needs to drop Rooney, increase the tempo and construct the side around Pogba.

ReputationRep:
    Yes he is and I'm going to do this really radical thing and judge his time at United when its over not after a few weeks.

ReputationRep:
    If he takes Manchester United to fifth place or lower by the end of the season I will celebrate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    When Wenger was Mourinho's age he had the Invincibles. Makes you think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicRat)
    Yes he is and I'm going to do this really radical thing and judge his time at United when its over not after a few weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mojojojo101)
    Frankly it looks like the magic left him by the last year of his Real stint and from about January 2015 it s fair to say he's been a bit of a joke, like he has been replaced by an impersonater and no one noticed.

Im not particularly bothered what people think but I want him out of United as soon as possible, shouldnt even have been apointed in the first place so its just correcting an unfortunate mistake.
    So January 2015-May 2015 he was a joke, with an awful league record of won 12 drawn 5 lost 2?... He was a joke from August-December last year and that's all, let's not exaggerate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    So January 2015-May 2015 he was a joke, with an awful league record of won 12 drawn 5 lost 2?... He was a joke from August-December last year and that's all, let's not exaggerate
    After that Spurs game Chelsea played some dire football and basically won the league by default, he managed to annoy and alienate the majority of the squad, whined constantly about everything and was just generally a bit of a ****.

A joke might be exagerating, but the whole of 2015 was a pretty damning enditement of his capabilities, so much so that, if you believe some reports, the majority of big European clubs no longer want anything to do with him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    Has he ever been? Or has he just managed to find himself in the right place at clubs with already strong squads (e.g. Real Madrid are going to win trophies whoever they have as manager)?
    Not really; Porto weren't a top side in 2004,

Chelsea only won the league once in the nine years between his second and third title wins

Inter Milan had only reached one quarter final four years before his win and other than Mourinho, their only semi final this side of 2000 was when they had Newcastle in the Group Stages.

Madrid have won La Liga once in eight years and it's courtesy of Mourinho breaking the league points record.

(Original post by sr90)
    Good joke
    Why shouldn't van Gaal get credit for Martial and Rashford?

He has one more point after five games.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diego Costa)
    He has one more point after five games.
    And how much did he spend on transfers? Pogba probably adds up to all the transfer deals he made over the summer

ReputationRep:
    And how much did he spend on transfers? Pogba probably adds up to all the transfer deals he made over the summer
    Arsenal spent £90m (probably more if they wanted) and Man Utd spent £150m. Both spent huge and it's Arsene's own fault for not spending more since he had the funds.

ReputationRep:
    But united have had easier fixtures.

Arsenal have played Liverpool and the champions so far. They'll play Chelsea too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bammy jastard 27)
    But united have had easier fixtures.

Arsenal have played Liverpool and the champions so far. They'll play Chelsea too.
    I am glad we are getting hard fixtures out of the way since usually we just steamroller a lot of lower tier teams and then come unstuck against the big teams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diego Costa)
    ...their only semi final this side of 2000 was when they had Newcastle in the Group Stages.
    Is that really relevant? :lol: I guess Chelsea's Champions League win doesn't really count as well cos they played Genk in the group stages.

You've got a proper little chip on your shoulder about Newcastle for some reason haven't you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scriggy)
    Is that really relevant? :lol: I guess Chelsea's Champions League win doesn't really count as well cos they played Genk in the group stages.

You've got a proper little chip on your shoulder about Newcastle for some reason haven't you.
    I was more pointing out that it was a long time ago, citing that a team who have been relegated twice were a top team at the time.

ReputationRep:
    The guy is just obsessed with Wenger. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...reak-face.html

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 23, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Wake up and smell the...
Football articles

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.