Are open days/interviews essential ?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016
Admissions Testing Service Exams Discussion Rules - Please read before posting! 02-11-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I'm applying for unis now, basically, my Dad is refusing to take me to any as its a "waste of time" as I "keep changing my mind" (changed one choice from Coventry to Newcastle). I do not drive.
    So, is it essential that I go to these open days or not ? More importantly, if they call me in for a interview and I cannot attend, is that my application f#ck3d ?
    Thank you,
    Lee

ReputationRep:
    * Also, there is no way unis cover transport costs to interviews is there ?

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought that if you are going to be studying at a university for 3+ years you would want to see the town/ campus where you will be studying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace_wh)
    I would have thought that if you are going to be studying at a university for 3+ years you would want to see the town/ campus where you will be studying?
    Yes ! I really do want to.
    Problem is, I can't(read question)
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lee1999wright)
    Yes ! I really do want to.
    Problem is, I can't(read question)
    Thanks
    Maybe see if any of the universities that you're interested in, do online 'virtual' tours? Hope everything works out for you :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace_wh)
    Maybe see if any of the universities that you're interested in, do online 'virtual' tours? Hope everything works out for you :-)
    Will do, thanks.
    What about the interview though, I don't think many do virtual interviews...

Hello,
    I'm applying for unis now, basically, my Dad is refusing to take me to any as its a "waste of time" as I "keep changing my mind" (changed one choice from Coventry to Newcastle). I do not drive, do not have the money for the train cost.
    So, is it essential that I go to these open days or not ? More importantly, if they call me in for a interview and I cannot attend, is that my application f#ck3d ?
    Thank you,
    Lee
    Open days are to help you deide if you like the course and place. If you really dont know then you are making a blund guess for something you intend to spend tens of thousands of £ on and spend 3 + years at. If you are unsure then it is very helpful for some people as they soon see they like it or they do not.

Use the coach or megabus. Some unis do give travel expenses, but I think its very very rare. If you are poor then see if the local authority or your school have any available funds.

Interviews are a different matter. If you say you cnat attend, then they may or may not give you an offer, i'd say it was much less likely. You cna find out which of your uni's does them. If requested for an interview I woyld make every effort to go.

ReputationRep:
    some universities will offer you travel expenses to attend open days/interviews, I don't think all do thought and I'm not sure if you'd have to prove you come from a low income family or anything - but I do know a couple of people who got train fare paid for to visit the university

surely your dad would take you to an interview/help you with train fare? given it would be a lot more important

as far as how important visiting is... in my opinion it's really not the most important thing, you will be given a tour of the nicer parts of the university, get a talk from your department which is essentially a sales pitch (usually by the most charismatic teachers!) and see a little bit about extra curriculars (which you can get online) - it's not really possible to get a good view on what the place would be like to live in or what your actual lectures will be like (I had a talk from a woman who was really impressive but taught one module over three years), any important questions you have you can ask elsewhere and tbh how many specific questions or requirements do you have about the location etc? You can decide for yourself if you want a city/campus and so on without seeing the city itself

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I'm applying for unis now, basically, my Dad is refusing to take me to any as its a "waste of time" as I "keep changing my mind" (changed one choice from Coventry to Newcastle). I do not drive, do not have the money for the train cost.
    Thank you,
    Lee
    1. I really do recommend going to open days for options you'd realistically be interested in because there's only so much you can learn from how the course looks like on paper. For instance, in my case Southampton's course looked awesome from the website but I really didn't like it when I visited it, whereas UCL's course looked less interesting but I really loved it when I went.

2. If you can't attend an interview then it's very unlikely you'd get an offer, but if there are financial issues then I'd recommend contacting them first (or potentially your school as well) because they may have funds available for that.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    I am not from a low income family, household income is 70k yet parents think uni is a complete waste of time so are refusing to help with any university fees.
    Also, my Sixth Form just sees us a higher house income family, so not student support will be granted.
    I will keep looking for a p/t job to pay for the train or have a look at megabus offers.

Thank you,
    Lee

ReputationRep:
    If you get called to interview you will have to go.

With regards to open days you don't have to go, but could be helpful. Frankly unless you are applying to a rubbish uni, it won't be bad. You can find out everything from crime statistics to appearance of buildings to course details online so not the end of the world if you can't go. I'm applying to Southampton and York and never been! Also unis often offer 'virtual guided tours'.

Can't you go to uni with friends in their cars?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tg1998)
    If you get called to interview you will have to go.

With regards to open days you don't have to go, but could be helpful. Frankly unless you are applying to a rubbish uni, it won't be bad. You can find out everything from crime statistics to appearance of buildings to course details online so not the end of the world if you can't go. I'm applying to Southampton and York and never been! Also unis often offer 'virtual guided tours'.

Can't you go to uni with friends in their cars?
    If I get an interview, I'll go, train or megabus.
    Also, they are all applying to different unis.
    Thanks for the advice

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.