how do young people have a voice in the running of the UK?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    i understand that there is the Uk Youth Parliament however how else do young people have a voice in the running of the uk?

ReputationRep:
    No one has a voice in running the country other than elected members of parliament. However anyone can lobby their MP and anyone over 18 can vote. The last thing we need is everyone having a say on how the country should be run. Just look at the disaster awaiting that is Brexit.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have a voice, that's the thing.
    You'll only have a voice when the Jewish elite appoint you to a position of power.

ReputationRep:
    There is always going to be an steep upward slope when you start out in politics, and even if you do try you might not succeed in getting heard. That doesn't stop you from making your case respectfully in public areas, writing to your MP and writing to your local newspaper. You might not get a big outlet, but imagine if everyone who wants to get heard have a voice in the UK, we'd be overloaded with people's views on things.

As for running to be an MP, you'd need to be noticed by a political party in order to be selected as a constituency contender. Before that you'd just need to worry about getting noticed at the first place. Another route is to run as an independent, but this requires you to be well-funded which usually isn't the case for young people.

ReputationRep:
    By getting old enough for older people to care about your opinions.

I'm sorry. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    They don't

ReputationRep:
    Apart from the UKYP I can't really say much. As a member that disappoints. It does however put emphasis on its importance and it is a good route to achieving change. That being said I wouldn't put too much weight on its importance - I sometimes ponder at all if its effective at achieving change and inspiring young people. After all, there are so many who don't know of its existence.

TL;DR

none. Perhaps that's why there should be votes for 16.

ReputationRep:
    Those of us that vote have an equal voice. The problem is so few of the under 25's turn out in elections.

Being in local politics is easier the being an MP but I wouldn't want a bunch of young people running the nation. Here my local councillor is 21(was elected at 18) and that's not uncommon for those that get involved.

ReputationRep:
    we, and i say this is a young working class person, dont want ppl under 18 havng a say anyway, there tons of reason why, all valid, and many threads but to sum up at the end of the day most of you are mindless sheep that have never had a job, never rented/bought a house, washed your own cloth, made your food, made a bank account.. done anything really or have any life skills. why would we want the view of useless people who pretty much do nothing ? and i say this as a 18 year old, who just got the vote this year, just voted this week, for the thrid time..

the jump i made from 16-18 was so massive, Im sure theres a few young people who should be heard but if there isnt enough at my age there most definitely won't be many at your.

i could go on but its been said millions of times. and you honestly act as if young ppl will even vote, when people from 18-25 dont even turn up or register, like i said i voted this week, and voter turn out for my age group was horrible as usual. wait until your 18 and see if your even bothered to vote then,.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.