LPC Grade advice

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have a 2.1 law degree and am now half way through the LPC with the UOL.
    After having to re-sit one exam my grade is now capped at a pass. I don't have a TC and was wondering how important the LPC grade is?
    The UOL are currently allowing students to erase early grades and resit if they
    change to the new assessment model.
    I would be grateful for any advice. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Many firms will look at them like they will look at an undergraduate degree. An odd poor module won't matter but if your grades are generally quite low then that will be more concerning.

Some firms state their trainees have to get a certain grade (usually a commendation) so would automatically reject someone who had not obtained that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by clairelouu)
    Hi,

I have a 2.1 law degree and am now half way through the LPC with the UOL.
    After having to re-sit one exam my grade is now capped at a pass. I don't have a TC and was wondering how important the LPC grade is?
    The UOL are currently allowing students to erase early grades and resit if they
    change to the new assessment model.
    I would be grateful for any advice. Thank you.
    I'm not really up to date anymore, but as its very competitive, then its not so much you need the dsitinction, but its uncomfy having a failed subject on your grades becayse it allows them to distingyush you from people who have passed everything first time. Is it a big deal to do the new assessment model? Just for not standing out from the crowd for the wrong reasons I would be tempted to repair it. Gaining a TC is hard enough as it is.

There is no set rule, just as one HR person will say dont worry , then another one could use it to bin you. One of the previous trainees I knew failed various heads after he had started his TC, but was allowed to resit. They could just as easily have binned him.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your response.
    I am thinking of moving over to the new model but to do so, the UOL have grouped exams together so it would mean re-sitting a number of
    already passed exams to try and remove the failed one. My only concern is more a personal one as I work full time so it is very difficult fitting
    everything in without the additional exams on top of studying for the current year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clairelouu)
    Thank you for your response.
    I am thinking of moving over to the new model but to do so, the UOL have grouped exams together so it would mean re-sitting a number of
    already passed exams to try and remove the failed one. My only concern is more a personal one as I work full time so it is very difficult fitting
    everything in without the additional exams on top of studying for the current year.
    If you are working full time and studying part time firms are likely to be a little more open minded when it comes to grades (unless they have a specific grade requirement).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    One of my coursemates on the part-time LPC failed one of the core exams twice. She had a vac scheme with a good firm and she was completely upfront with them about it. Didn't stop them offering her the TC

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.