Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Childcare/teaching qualifications Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    Not entirely sure if I'm posting this in the right place but anyway here goes...
    I am currently working in a childcare setting full time and I love it but as I've been there for a number of years I feel like I need to be working towards something. I've got up level 3 (a levels) and have considered completing a degree in teaching or something similar but due to current personal circumstances I feel as if it isn't the right time. Any ideas on what qualifications I could work towards in this field, whilst in full time work would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    To become a teacher you need a degree and then a PGCE/QTS qualification on top of that. That's 4-5 years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Findlay6)
    To become a teacher you need a degree and then a PGCE/QTS qualification on top of that. That's 4-5 years
    Can do a BEd for Primary teaching

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summer50)
    Hi there,
    Not entirely sure if I'm posting this in the right place but anyway here goes...
    I am currently working in a childcare setting full time and I love it but as I've been there for a number of years I feel like I need to be working towards something. I've got up level 3 (a levels) and have considered completing a degree in teaching or something similar but due to current personal circumstances I feel as if it isn't the right time. Any ideas on what qualifications I could work towards in this field, whilst in full time work would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
    Perhaps an assessor? As you're qualified to level 3, you could assess level 2 learners (and possibly level 3 depending on the qualifications you would be assessing).

The assessor qualifications include:

Assessing Competence in the Work Environment
    Assessing Vocational Achievement
    Assessing Vocationally Related Achievement.

(All level 3).

In regards to teaching, you could look at the Level 3 Award in Education and Training (there are progression routes to the level 4 certificate, and level 5 diploma). With the latter you could obtain QTLS.

They're all designed for working with adult learners, but if you might be interested in becoming a workplace assessor etc. they might be worth a look at. There's plenty of places offering the qualifications through distance learning - but there would be some units that require you to be observed.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 19, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.