Volunteering with children

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

Has anyone done any volunteering with children or in a childcare setting? If you have what organisation did you work with? What did you have to do and how long for? I know this is a bit of a vague question but I'm just curious.

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I work with a number of children with varying degrees of SEN (Special Educational Needs) in my school's Learning Support department, and have done for a few years; if you're still in school, perhaps you could speak to your school's SENCO etc. about doing something like this?

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    To get onto my degree, I needed at least ten days experience in a school setting, for KS1 and KS2. I email a local school of each, and worked in each from that Christmas to summer.

Generally, schools are quite accommodating, there's a always an extra pair of hands needed somewhere. If you email the school, you'll get called in for an interview (usually) and they'll find you something to do based on what experience you need, and what they need help with.

You didn't really specify, do you want experience to get on a teaching degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MildredMalone)
    To get onto my degree, I needed at least ten days experience in a school setting, for KS1 and KS2. I email a local school of each, and worked in each from that Christmas to summer.

Generally, schools are quite accommodating, there's a always an extra pair of hands needed somewhere. If you email the school, you'll get called in for an interview (usually) and they'll find you something to do based on what experience you need, and what they need help with.

You didn't really specify, do you want experience to get on a teaching degree?
    Hi,
    Thank you for your reply! Sorry I didn't really explain my reasoning did I.
    I currently work in a childcare setting (which I really enjoy) but I get quite a lot of holiday so I was wondering if anyone had done any volunteering with childcare organisations in their spare time ect..
    A bit off topic but what degree are you doing? Are you enjoying it?
    I hope it's going well!
    Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I've worked with children, because my mum was a teacher she let me come in and help with her class. However I've also volunteered with my local Wildlife Trust at one of their education centres. This is great - they're always looking for volunteers! You help school groups (typically primary schools) learn about wildlife, the environment, etc so there's a lot of pond-dipping! It's great fun and very enjoyable, especially as the children love being outside! It's not childcare as such, but it is an informal teaching setting. It's a bit different but loads of fun, especially if you enjoy being outside! It's amusing in that they will nearly always try and collect every single slug they see!

ReputationRep:
    Have you thought about volunteering abroad and teaching? There's lots of options!

http://advice.milkround.com/put-thos...ce-to-good-use
    http://advice.milkround.com/combinin...mer-and-beyond
    Here's a couple of options where to teach abroad if you're interested

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summer50)
    Hi there,

Has anyone done any volunteering with children or in a childcare setting? If you have what organisation did you work with? What did you have to do and how long for? I know this is a bit of a vague question but I'm just curious.

Thanks in advance
    Don't forget you'll need to get a CRB check to work with young people

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 14, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.