Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Tonight i was offered the opportunity to do bar work, starting from approximately September. I accepted the offer but i'm almost tee-total with alcohol, know very very little about alcohol, the various prices, mixing a with b etc....

i'll be working in a leisure centre kind of place, not a modern-day bar as such.

So...

just how easy is bar work to do, especially given i know so very very little about alcohol???

I will do my research before i start and before i'm 'shown the ropes' on some kind of induction but will i be able to pick it up pretty easily given my almost non-existant knowledge and understanding of alcoholic beverages???

:confused: and a tad

ReputationRep:
    Even if you don't know what goes in a gin and tonic they will understand and they'll only give you stuff you can cope with. Every job is the same at the start, you're greeted with new tasks and you have to adapt to them. I give it two or three weeks before you're confident in your job. And don't be going doing background reading as knowledge without experience is never a good cocktail

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it'll hurt to familiarise yourself with some of the most popular alcoholic beverages. Next time you are in a supermarket, check out the booze section!! (and by familiarise, I don't mean drink, I just mean the names of the brands etc.)

ReputationRep:
    it's pretty funny tbh. I'm really not a fan of alcohol at all and yet soon i'll be working behind a bar. Life throws up some ironic crap sometimes!

ReputationRep:
    Ah the irony, imagine if you became an alcoholic :p:

Ya never know, you could start to like the taste of it.

ReputationRep:
    that's just not going to happen!

not so much liking the taste of it, but alcohol doesn't really do much to me, if anything, it only serves to induce fatigue, physically and mentally. I'm more lively when sober, so i think, why drink alcohol when i'm fine when sober, innit! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    don't worry about it. i never knew anything about alcohol measures & mixing etc until about 6 months ago. you pick it up pretty quickly. and i dont drink either. not much anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Just be familiar with some of the commen mixes and requests

vodka and coke
    gin and tonic - sometimes with fruit
    archies (various flavours)
    pint/half of ....... (if its a leasure centre they probably wont have the more exotic brands
    fruit mixes - spirit with cramberry is a biggie

word of advice - of you can be bothered get yourself a personal liscense - you'll then be eligible for more senior positions - ie management and stocks....

and mind your own ass when it comes to underage - obviously wit a degree of leniancy....you'll also get told not to serve people that are alreadt obviously ******ed....

This is all on the job training...so chill....

ReputationRep:
    I work in a bar! if you dont kno summit the customer can usually point it out for you!
    Just like when I get asked for a brandy and coke......we serve 5 different brandys!

Bar work can be hard aswell so be warned

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I just started work in a bar for the first time a week ago and already I pretty know the ropes. (Still abit dodgy on the wines though, grrr!!)

my tip is-don't rush!! Even if its looks busy and you think you might be seen as slacking!!! Also, don't worry about double checking with what people have asked for.

ReputationRep:
    I used to work in a restaurant and the chef's wife who used to work out front with me got pregnant so I was one day chucked into doing the bar alone despite having never done it before and being pretty much teetotal :rolleyes:

It was easy once you got your head round it. So long as you can pull a pint, have an idea of what the different wine labels look like, and can put together a vodka and coke you will be fine.

I used to get moaned at for not measuring stuff out properly mind. But if someone asked for a top-up of their nearly-empty glass it seemed a tad pointless to go and get a fresh glass and fill it up to the line so they are getting an exact measure :rolleyes: Bitterness there.

ReputationRep:
    I loved bar work. Its far more sociable than many other types of part time work.

There's 5 things you need to know:

1) How to pull a pint
    2) Which bottle contains the brandy (trust me - so many people dont know)
    3) How to use an optic (hold the glass under and push the black thing up)
    4) Which wines your bar sells
    5) Don't mix beer and spirits in one glass :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpinkuk)
    I used to work in a restaurant and the chef's wife who used to work out front with me got pregnant so I was one day chucked into doing the bar alone despite having never done it before and being pretty much teetotal :rolleyes:
    I totally read that as 'the chef's wife who used to work out front got me pregnant'...

Oops. Haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kate.)
    I totally read that as 'the chef's wife who used to work out front got me pregnant'...

Oops. Haha.
    Heh heh Oh my!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kate.)

Oops. Haha.

Same here!!! LOL

ReputationRep:
    I am so glad I read this thread, as its helped me. I dont know anything about mixers ect, so may end up getting a book, as failing getting a retail job, ill work at a bar.

ReputationRep:
    Would recommend completing an RSA, not sure if it's compulsory in the UK though

Where I live it definitely is, but meh.

ReputationRep:
    whats an RSA?

ReputationRep:
    Responsible Serving of Alcohol course I think

I think its only taken in Australia though. Its definitely not compulsory in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    relax, i was just like you when i first started barwork. I appled on the off chance with pretty much no idea what i was doing, and if i hadnt decided to go to uni 7 months later i would have been made a supervisor

if you dont know something then just ask the customer what they mean. Dont stress about buying books to learn, most the people you'll be working with will be sympathetic and help you - leisure centres and that kind of bar often have a fairly high turnover of staff and often hire people with no experience. Its only if you get a job somewhere fancy that you have to start worrying. At my current place they sell about 30 different wines and i barely know what white i like, let alone red, rose or champagne!!

(Original post by randomgirl)
    Ah the irony, imagine if you became an alcoholic :p:...
    you joke, but i certainly began to enjoy it a little too often with the people there not to get drunk, just liked the taste. unfortunately one invariably leads to the other

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.