Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Sunbeds watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm writing an article for a national broadsheet newspaper about young people using sunbeds. I need to interview some people between 12-20 who use sunbeds regularly, more than once a month. If you're interested, or know anyone who might be, please message me ASAP.

Lucy

ReputationRep:
    Ah Sunbeds - skin cancer before you die or your money back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    Ah Sunbeds - skin cancer before you die or your money back.
    Thats exactly why I would never use one. What do you prefer a bit of colour on your skin or risk of cancer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Thats exactly why I would never use one. What do you prefer a bit of colour on your skin or risk of cancer?
    Personaly I don't know what the big fuss is about having tanned skin in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    Personaly I don't know what the big fuss is about having tanned skin in the first place.
    It looks nice. I want a tan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whats_The_411?)
    It looks nice. I want a tan
    Yeah but it is worth risking you future heath for?

ReputationRep:
    sunbeds?! advertising?! no debate?! taxi!!.....to General Chat please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    Yeah but it is worth risking you future heath for?
    I know its not worth it but I would like a nice tan. My Brother just came back from Spain and he's all tanned :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    sunbeds?! advertising?! no debate?! taxi!!.....to General Chat please
    come on we can still debate it.

ReputationRep:
    come on we can still debate it.
    the lack of a decent title is giving me the creeps.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think that all sunbeds should be carefully regulated and should have clear health warnings on them.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think that all sunbeds should be carefully regulated and should have clear health warnings on them.
    Don't they already? The idea is a joke, the earth has an ozone layer to reduce the effects of the ultra violet rays from the sun, yet we make these devices which give of stupid amount of UV rays.

ReputationRep:
    Don't they already? The idea is a joke, the earth has an ozone layer to reduce the effects of the ultra violet rays from the sun, yet we make these devices which give of stupid amount of UV rays.
    I know that they aren't as regulated as they should be.

ReputationRep:
    I know that they aren't as regulated as they should be.
    *finger hovers menacingly over report button*

ReputationRep:
    but its not the sunbed itself that causes cancer.
    we have 3 at home, you can put them in the shade!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kriztinae)
    but its not the sunbed itself that causes cancer.
    we have 3 at home, you can put them in the shade!
    I think they're talking about the ones you go to in a tanning salon, artificial tanning. Not the ones you lounge around on outside

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamas)
    I think they're talking about the ones you go to in a tanning salon, artificial tanning. Not the ones you lounge around on outside
    oh my bad!

ReputationRep:
    I did my A2 Physics project on this and therefore had to use a UV lamp - to show the dangers it presents (and this was a very low powered one) I had to wear eye protection (I was meant to - I only did it when my teacher was looking) and had to keep the lamp shielded so that only a thin beam could escape - this was then pointed away from everyone. Basically there were as many safety procedures as when we handle Uranium.

ReputationRep:
    Yep the british meaning of a subed has flourisent (sp) ultraviolet tubes in them which give of UV to create a tan.

They are as dangerous as smoking yet they have clear warnings on them.

I think most people are well aware of the dangers now but some people may still be ignorant to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    I did my A2 Physics project on this and therefore had to use a UV lamp - to show the dangers it presents (and this was a very low powered one) I had to wear eye protection (I was meant to - I only did it when my teacher was looking) and had to keep the lamp shielded so that only a thin beam could escape - this was then pointed away from everyone. Basically there were as many safety procedures as when we handle Uranium.
    You handle Uranium at A level? Blimey!

Is it true that one cubic centimetre of the stuff is enough to kill everybody in the room?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.