Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  374.6 KB
    Hey, I'm struggling to simplify a composite function. This is for question 3 part a.
    So far I have h(x)= (6/x+3) -2. How do I simplify this to give the answer -2x/x+3 (which is given to me)
    Thanks

(Original post by mrmigme)
      Name:  image.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  374.6 KB
      Hey, I'm struggling to simplify a composite function. This is for question 3 part a.
      So far I have h(x)= (6/x+3) -2. How do I simplify this to give the answer -2x/x+3 (which is given to me)
      Thanks
      \displaystyle \frac{6}{x+3} - 2 = \frac{6}{x+3} - \frac{2(x+3)}{x+3} = \ ?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by EricPiphany)
      \displaystyle \frac{6}{x+3} - 2 = \frac{6}{x+3} - \frac{2(x+3)}{x+3} = \ ?
      I think I'm misunderstanding the basics of this topic lol. Why is it 2(x+3)/x+3 and not 2(6)/(x+3)

I think I'm misunderstanding the basics of this topic lol. Why is it 2(x+3)/x+3 and not 2(6)/(x+3)
        Clearly,  2 = \dfrac{2(x+3)}{x+3}, x \not= -3.

You have to multiply top and bottom of fraction by the same number, which is essentially multiplying by 1.

ReputationRep:
          Do you remember how to add fractions? Like in GCSE? You'd need to make common denominators?

So to add \displaystyle \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{4} = \frac{1 \times 2}{2 \times 2} + \frac{1}{4} = \frac{2}{4} + \frac{1}{4} = \frac{2+1}{4}= \frac{3}{4}, right?

Here it's the same thing: \displaystyle \frac{6}{x+3} -2 = \frac{6}{x+3} - \frac{2(x+3)}{(x+3)} = \frac{6 - 2(x+3)}{x+3}

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Zacken)
          Do you remember how to add fractions? Like in GCSE? You'd need to make common denominators?

So to add \displaystyle \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{4} = \frac{1 \times 2}{2 \times 2} + \frac{1}{4} = \frac{2}{4} + \frac{1}{4} = \frac{2+1}{4}= \frac{3}{4}, right?

Here it's the same thing: \displaystyle \frac{6}{x+3} -2 = \frac{6}{x+3} - \frac{2(x+3)}{(x+3)} = \frac{6 - 2(x+3)}{x+3}
          Bloody hell I can't believe I got caught up on how to do that. Thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
          Bloody hell I can't believe I got caught up on how to do that. Thanks a lot!
          You're very welcome!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
        Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.