National Anthems Watch

Duran Duran
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
" We are the Champions " is perfect for an English anthem !

God Save the Queen is crap. I never sing it, never will. I'm athiest, and an anti-royal. No guesses why I don't like it.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by lodzinski)
The UK should have jerusalem as its national anthem.
Oh, i-****ing-deal. A national anthem that only mentions one constituent country of the country in question and talks about a city thousands of miles away. Give that man a bloody coconut.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ForeverIsMyName)
I say we change the English anthem to something by Black Sabbath, or Queen.
As I understand it, there isn't an English anthem at present to change...
lodzinski
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Libertin du Nord)
Oh, i-****ing-deal. A national anthem that only mentions one constituent country of the country in question and talks about a city thousands of miles away. Give that man a bloody coconut.
and god save the queen is ideal in a nation that is largely apathetic towards christianity and the royal family? At least jerusalem is rousing and powerful, and as for the other countries being mentioned, **** them, they always play different bloody anthems for commonwealth games and rugby matches, though having said that i'm up for disestablishing the union.
lodzinski
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Libertin du Nord)
As I understand it, there isn't an English anthem at present to change...
That's petty pedantry of the highest order.
Zoecb
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The British National Anthem is a horrendous durge and we should all be ashamed of it. I quite like the French, Italian and German ones though.
Jayk
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No 't'ain't. As anyone from Wales, N. Ireland or Scotland (or Cornwall...) will tell you; God Save the Queen is the anthem of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. So no, England doesn't have a national anthem - and it isn't pedantic to point out; the fact is, they've expropriated the anthem of the union.

Anyways, Ireland's kicks ass, and being Scottish, I'm partial to Flower of Scotland. Although I think we should change to Highland Cathedral...but that's just me and my Da
acore
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think the Spanish one is one of the few not to have any lyrics!

#Francoo....Francoo...#
OnlyMe!
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I like the Italian and Russian national anthem...
soulofanewmachine
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
and god save the queen is ideal in a nation that is largely apathetic towards christianity and the royal family? At least jerusalem is rousing and powerful

What do you think Jerusalem is about?
lodzinski
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I didn't say it was the most suitable, but certainly no less suitable than the current one.
soulofanewmachine
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I didn't say it was the most suitable, but certainly no less suitable than the current one.
But if one of your reasons for banishing God Save the Queen is that our nation is "largely apathetic towards Christianity", why swap it with another very Christian song? :p:
lodzinski
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Because I like the other one :p:
soulofanewmachine
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oh, alright then. So do I

But those feet in ancient time DID NOT walk upon England's mountains green. That's just silly.
Jim-ie
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Amhran na bhFiann, but apparently its difficult for anthem bands at events. Still my favourite obviously.

The Soviet anthem would make you patriotic even if you wherent a soviet! That song had power to it.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I wouldn't say so, it's rather a pressing problem considering the constituent parts of the UK (England included) have pretensions to some sort of nationhood, particularly when sport is concerned.

and god save the queen is ideal in a nation that is largely apathetic towards christianity and the royal family? At least jerusalem is rousing and powerful, and as for the other countries being mentioned, **** them, they always play different bloody anthems for commonwealth games and rugby matches, though having said that i'm up for disestablishing the union.
So... you want to apply a new national anthem for a country that you don't even want to exist? Sounds very sensible.

(Original post by soulofanewmachine)
But if one of your reasons for banishing God Save the Queen is that our nation is "largely apathetic towards Christianity", why swap it with another very Christian song? :p:
A hymn about Christian virtue and the establishment of a new Christian utopia, no less.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Jayk Bakner)
Although I think we should change to Highland Cathedral...but that's just me and my Da
I'd be up for that, the only problem I have is that I associate it more with school events than a national anthem. Best bloody tune ever though, if there's good drums.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by soulofanewmachine)
Oh, alright then. So do I

But those feet in ancient time DID NOT walk upon England's mountains green. That's just silly.
Well, considering England didn't exist back then...

...aside from that, don't be so cynical! They might have!

(Original post by Jim-ie)
Amhran na bhFiann, but apparently its difficult for anthem bands at events. Still my favourite obviously.

The Soviet anthem would make you patriotic even if you wherent a soviet! That song had power to it.
I've never heard the Irish anthem before; it sounds a bit like what you'd expect to hear in an ex-Soviet republic.
Segat1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The Aussie one is gash. So is Waltzing Matilda, which is a song about a mental criminal to a Scottish tune (a nice tune yes, but not terribly Aussie). We Are One, But We Are Many would be better.

I love the Japanese one. And the NZ one is brill.
Jim-ie
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Its hard to find a version of it thats only the chrous, the chorus is the national anthem, not the full song.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xuBgQbRANd8 Ignoring the embarrasing video that some arse put toghether googling "tricolours" or something.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (233)
27.51%
No (614)
72.49%

Watched Threads