Someone calm me down please

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I just started year 13 and ****ing hell am I already drowning in the amount of **** I need to get done.
    Like how am I meant to revise for 2 Predicted grades tests within the next week, prepare for my BMAT which I haven't even started preparing for( I really really want to go Imperial), prepare for my piano exam (for which I haven't even ****ing learnt my second piece) that's in a month and write my Personal statement (that's in an overwhelmingly **** state) as well as read all the books that I wanna mention in it.

Like honestly, it's been 2 weeks into September.

Someone calm me down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sububzi)
    I just started year 13 and ****ing hell am I already drowning in the amount of **** I need to get done.
    Like how am I meant to revise for 2 Predicted grades tests within the next week, prepare for my BMAT which I haven't even started preparing for( I really really want to go Imperial), prepare for my piano exam (for which I haven't even ****ing learnt my second piece) that's in a month and write my Personal statement (that's in an overwhelmingly **** state) as well as read all the books that I wanna mention in it.

Someone calm me down.
    Take a breath. I understand how much there is to think about at the start of Year 13. Try to be confident in yourself, you can do it if you put your heart into it Which grade of piano are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amedic)
    Take a breath. I understand how much there is to think about at the start of Year 13. Try to be confident in yourself, you can do it if you put your heart into it Which grade of piano are you doing?
    Yeah but if year 13 is stressing me out will I be able to hack med school?
    Grade 6 :|

ReputationRep:

Someone calm me down.
    You need to prioritise Make a list of all the jobs you have to do, and work out how many free hours you have per day. Then figure out which jobs are the most pressing/immediate and allocate them time accordingly.

I'd guess that your predicted grade tests are the most pressing thing atm as they are occurring very soon and have high priority in terms of their importance. So for now I'd give them a significant amount of time and attention. Use your remaining time for the other jobs.

The PS isn't technically due until Oct 15th, and should only take a day if that. Obviously you should aim to do it sooner than that so you can get it checked over etc, but it's still not the immediate priority. You could do it next week after your tests and get it out of the way in a day or two. Reading books isn't so much of an issue, it's not a book review, you can still write a decent PS even if you haven't got lots of books to mention.

The piano exam is in a month, again, not immediately concerning - you could practice slightly less for the next week or so until your tests are done, then give it more attention.

The BMAT is in November, it's very important, but it's okay if you don't go into full throttle revision for it just yet while you have other priorities. You should try and do some revision for it if possible around your other tasks, and gradually build up the amount you're doing as your other jobs (piano exam, PS, etc) go away.

How does that sound?

ReputationRep:
    I literally logged on TSR with the same issues going through my head as I prepared to catch up with all the work I missed on top of everything you've mentioned except piano, I guess you just need to relax, be clear on what needs doing then make time and do it effectively. It's tough and overwhelming but very possible. If you were being inspected compared to others in your position, the first thing they'd be looking at is who can remain calm and work most effectively. I'm quite annoyed i couldn't read any books this weekend becuase I had to catch up with C3 and Politics, I'm also starting a new job on Friday (not the best idea but I think it'll be good for me), I haven't even read one book yet so once I'm all up to date with my work I can finally read and hopefully have my PS finished by the start of October. I plan to start my addmissions test preparation (TSA) at the start of October, in the holidays I'll also have a nice crash course prepared. Whenever I'm freaking out I take a step back and try planning it, you've got time so you can make it work. I've decided to make a levels a low priority after I've caught up and got my predicted grades, that's becuase by December I'll be able to revise everything without the added stress of uni prep. Classical and jazz music are also good ways to wind down and reflect. Good luck, I believe in you

ReputationRep:

Someone calm me down.
    I don't know if this will help you but what you've written is pretty much how i felt a year ago. There were times I felt I just couldn't cope and I ended up crying in the toilets lol . But a year on I've got the results I wanted (A*A*A*A) and I got into the uni I wanted to (Warwick). You've just got to get on with ****, cry it out if you need to, and power through!! A-levels ARE tough, you're probably coping a lot better than you think you are. Try and find different ways to motivate yourself, set short-term goals and learn to efficiently manage your time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    You need to prioritise Make a list of all the jobs you have to do, and work out how many free hours you have per day. Then figure out which jobs are the most pressing/immediate and allocate them time accordingly.

I'd guess that your predicted grade tests are the most pressing thing atm as they are occurring very soon and have high priority in terms of their importance. So for now I'd give them a significant amount of time and attention. Use your remaining time for the other jobs.

The PS isn't technically due until Oct 15th, and should only take a day if that. Obviously you should aim to do it sooner than that so you can get it checked over etc, but it's still not the immediate priority. You could do it next week after your tests and get it out of the way in a day or two. Reading books isn't so much of an issue, it's not a book review, you can still write a decent PS even if you haven't got lots of books to mention.

The piano exam is in a month, again, not immediately concerning - you could practice slightly less for the next week or so until your tests are done, then give it more attention.

The BMAT is in November, it's very important, but it's okay if you don't go into full throttle revision for it just yet while you have other priorities. You should try and do some revision for it if possible around your other tasks, and gradually build up the amount you're doing as your other jobs (piano exam, PS, etc) go away.

How does that sound?
    This is very good advice. Sububzi, about reading books, you really don't need to read all of them. If you have time, just read one or two and get a rough idea of what it's about. Choose an interesting part in one of them and maybe talk about that.

Maybe meditate for a few seconds? Just go somewhere where there's no one. Close your eyes and breathe slowly. Empty all thoughts.

Maybe work non-stop in a state of extreme focus? Have some coffee and snacks and work fast and remember to take short breaks. Make sure no one/nothing distracts you and sit down and just START on important tasks first.

If nothing else, remember that it's not the end of the world if something goes wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)

How does that sound?
    I wish you were my mum thank you.

(Original post by zayn008)
    I literally logged on TSR with the same issues going through my head as I prepared to catch up with all the work I missed on top of everything you've mentioned except piano, I guess you just need to relax, be clear on what needs doing then make time and do it effectively. It's tough and overwhelming but very possible. If you were being inspected compared to others in your position, the first thing they'd be looking at is who can remain calm and work most effectively. I'm quite annoyed i couldn't read any books this weekend becuase I had to catch up with C3 and Politics, I'm also starting a new job on Friday (not the best idea but I think it'll be good for me), I haven't even read one book yet so once I'm all up to date with my work I can finally read and hopefully have my PS finished by the start of October. I plan to start my addmissions test preparation (TSA) at the start of October, in the holidays I'll also have a nice crash course prepared. Whenever I'm freaking out I take a step back and try planning it, you've got time so you can make it work. I've decided to make a levels a low priority after I've caught up and got my predicted grades, that's becuase by December I'll be able to revise everything without the added stress of uni prep. Classical and jazz music are also good ways to wind down and reflect. Good luck, I believe in you
    I'm glad I'm not the only one in this. Good luck with everything- I believe in you as well (you'll make a great doc )

(Original post by halfhearted)
    I don't know if this will help you but what you've written is pretty much how i felt a year ago. There were times I felt I just couldn't cope and I ended up crying in the toilets lol . But a year on I've got the results I wanted (A*A*A*A) and I got into the uni I wanted to (Warwick). You've just got to get on with ****, cry it out if you need to, and power through!! A-levels ARE tough, you're probably coping a lot better than you think you are. Try and find different ways to motivate yourself, set short-term goals and learn to efficiently manage your time.
    This makes me feel 10x better... Congrats on getting in with those amazing grades honestly that's unbelievable.

You guys are angels

ReputationRep:
    I wish you were my mum thank you.
    Definitely not something I hear everyday, but you're welcome.

ReputationRep:

This makes me feel 10x better... Congrats on getting in with those amazing grades honestly that's unbelievable.

You guys are angels
    Ahh i'm glad! and thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad I'm not the only one in this. Good luck with everything- I believe in you as well (you'll make a great doc )
    Cheers bud, I'm sure I would except I had Prime Minister in mind

ReputationRep:

Someone calm me down.
    Don't forget. We're all in the same boat. The pressure is piling very fast on me too. Just don't fall behind - and don't let anyone make you fall behind. Personally, I find family troubles quite troubling... however, the key may be to work fast. You might make a few mistakes, but get your sleep and your food sorted out and calm down. Once I've started working faster and thinking more coherently, I've been getting more work done. Certainly in maths, I can work quite fast. Maybe learn to speed read? I don't know if this will help, but I'm trying to be practical rather than giving you false hope or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiritsugu)
    Don't forget. We're all in the same boat. The pressure is piling very fast on me too. Just don't fall behind - and don't let anyone make you fall behind. Personally, I find family troubles quite troubling... however, the key may be to work fast. You might make a few mistakes, but get your sleep and your food sorted out and calm down. Once I've started working faster and thinking more coherently, I've been getting more work done. Certainly in maths, I can work quite fast. Maybe learn to speed read? I don't know if this will help, but I'm trying to be practical rather than giving you false hope or something.
    Thank you your advice is acc helpful and it's useful to be reminded that I'm not the only one going through this and people have done it before.
    I wish you the best of luck as well

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.