Can I get into Economics at Cambridge with these A levels?

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing maths, Further Maths, biology and Chemistry. If I get As/A*s will I have a chance of getting accepted or should I change one of my A levels to economics?

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend changing either biology or chemistry to economics because it is recommended you do it at a level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fksociety)
    I'd recommend changing either biology or chemistry to economics because it is recommended you do it at a level.
    Is economics at A level hard or respected? I heard its viewed as a soft subject and will hinder me if I decide dont want to do economics at uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faheemcg9)
    Is economics at A level hard or respected? I heard its viewed as a soft subject and will hinder me if I decide dont want to do economics at uni
    It is respected. The new course is more respected. If you want to do it at uni it's good because it shows you have a solid grasp of it. If you dont do it then you'll have to show your interest in economics in another way.

No, it won't ever hinder you. You're doing 3 other 'hard' subjects anyway.

ReputationRep:
    It is respected. The new course is more respected. If you want to do it at uni it's good because it shows you have a solid grasp of it. If you dont do it then you'll have to show your interest in economics in another way.

No, it won't ever hinder you. You're doing 3 other 'hard' subjects anyway.
    I'm thinking of medicine so I want to keep my options open. If I change my mind, will I be able to get into medicine at a top uni with Maths, Fm, Chemistry and Economics?

ReputationRep:
    Your subjects are fine as it is tbh - you're perfectly competitive with M, FM, Bio, Chem.

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of medicine so I want to keep my options open. If I change my mind, will I be able to get into medicine at a top uni with Maths, Fm, Chemistry and Economics?
    no i don't think so as you need both chem and bio to study medicine at any top uni

ReputationRep:
    chemistry, biology and economics so you can either go into medicine or economics degree. If you want to do maths or further math as an fourth a level but I'm sure your a levels are fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humerak786)
    chemistry, biology and economics so you can either go into medicine or economics degree. If you want to do maths or further math as an fourth a level but I'm sure your a levels are fine
    I don't agree with this at all, seems like pretty bad advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    I don't agree with this at all, seems like pretty bad advice.
    That's why I said go with your a levels either way okie just an opinion

ReputationRep:
    If medicine is a possible option then i'd recommend Maths Bio Chem Economics and then do Further maths to AS (If the option is available, you can do AS Further Maths over two years)

But if further maths is going to be difficult to fit with the other subjects then just do maths, bio, chem and economics.

ReputationRep:
    If medicine is a possible option then i'd recommend Maths Bio Chem Economics and then do Further maths to AS (If the option is available, you can do AS Further Maths over two years)

But if further maths is going to be difficult to fit with the other subjects then just do maths, bio, chem and economics.
    Are you sure? Doing Economics at LSE without Further Maths sounds extremely risky to me. Maybe I should just take 5 a levels?

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure? Doing Economics at LSE without Further Maths sounds extremely risky to me. Maybe I should just take 5 a levels?
    I personally think that you should first determine whether you want to do economics or medicine. If LSE is somewhere you want to go to, you have to actually be very interested in the field of economics, read books on it etc etc. Doing the right subjects is simply not enough. LSE do highly recommend further maths but as a 4th subject. But then they also make it clear that something like 80 or 90% of their students do take Economics to A level or IB.

If you can handle 5 A levels and you're interested in all of them, then do it. Then at AS you can drop one or two depending on whether you want to go into medicine or economics.

I personally wouldnt recommend doing 5 though.

ReputationRep:
    Your options are fine!!! You don't need Economics at A-level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ze Witcher)
    Your options are fine!!! You don't need Economics at A-level
    This^^.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.