The Student Room Group

Dont drink, hate clubbing...freshers week coming up, what should i do?

I dont drink and I hate clubbing. Just moved into my halls this week and it looks like all my flatmates do is go out and get wasted every night. Actually, I havent even met all of my flatmates yet or had the chance to introduce myself/ talk to anyone because theyre always out. Im the type of person who would rather go shopping/ cinema or to some nice food place than get drunk. Im quite shy and worried that I wont make any friends if I dont go to freshers. What should I do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ichigodango
I dont drink and I hate clubbing. Just moved into my halls this week and it looks like all my flatmates do is go out and get wasted every night. Actually, I havent even met all of my flatmates yet or had the chance to introduce myself/ talk to anyone because theyre always out. Im the type of person who would rather go shopping/ cinema or to some nice food place than get drunk. Im quite shy and worried that I wont make any friends if I dont go to freshers. What should I do?

Make a facebook post asking if anyone in halls near you wants to have a more chilled evening or something and take it from there. And see if the university offers any more chilled freshers events. Also worth at some point joining more chilled societies where they offer non drinking activities.
netflix and chill :biggrin:
Did I write this?

No, I didn't... Fortunately I'm not the only one in in this position. Thanks for letting me know that!
I'm in a similar situation but I did actually go out yesterday; I would say try one night If all else fails say that you're on a tight budget.

Original post by jelly1000
Make a facebook post asking if anyone in halls near you wants to have a more chilled evening or something and take it from there. And see if the university offers any more chilled freshers events. Also worth at some point joining more chilled societies where they offer non drinking activities.

This. Look up the profiles of the union leaders because usually they'll be offering alternatives eg mine have a cinema night tomorrow.

People go a bit wild on freshers. G and join some societies. Either cook or order food in or go out for a house/flat meal.

There will be friends to make on your course, in uni generally, any clubs and scoieties, their friends etc. Tiy dnt have to go clubbing or get drunk.
Reply 6
I go to uni next week and I've never even been to a club but I'm just gonna go with the flow and go out with everyone anyways like how bad can it be .... I'm sure in a few weeks it'll die down and people will happily stay in and watch bake off :biggrin: perhaps join some societies cause a lot of them do like non-alcohol socials like bowling or cinema maybe ... good luck
Original post by Rhaenys10

Wow don't go on TSR ask people for this. You're desperate... :colonhash:

Spoiler

Dunno, from what I've read, I suggest you go clubbing and drinking. :h:
make your own chess club
Original post by RDKGames
Wow don't go on TSR ask people for this. You're desperate... :colonhash:

Spoiler

me? i just offered op a nice alternative to the usual fresher's week stuff
and yeah, i always crave netflix =))

i wouldnt mind that at all... if my bf was here :cry2:
Original post by Horny Hafiz
make your own chess club

uhh, i cant even play chess nor do i like it ..
i wouldnt mind that at all... if my bf was here :cry2:

invite him over
I am looking forward to my freshers to get drunk, though I am a drunk anyway :u::colondollar:
Original post by RDKGames
Dunno, from what I've read, I suggest you go clubbing and drinking. :h:

i dont like drinking and im worried about being drunk when i dont have someone to look after me

plus every time i've been out i've had drunk guys trying to hit on me so i dont like going without my bf.. but hes not here :frown:
i dont like drinking and im worried about being drunk when i dont have someone to look after me

plus every time i've been out i've had drunk guys trying to hit on me so i dont like going without my bf.. but hes not here :frown:

Probably a womens mixer, soceity/event thing. Go to that then
invite him over

haha i wish i could but he's living overseas atm because of his job. im in a long distance relationship so the last time ive seen him was last year :frown:
Original post by Kozmo
There's an easy solution to both of your problems here: go out and don't drink, and knock back the guys hitting on you.

yeah but i dont want to go out. just want to make friends
yeah but i dont want to go out. just want to make friends

Then dont go out with these people. theres nothing to stop you making an effort and being sociable though as you will be living in the same flat for a year.

If you wnat to make friends that will entail going out at some stage, but you dont have to go to nightclubs and you dont have to drink alcohol.

Quick Reply

Latest