The Student Room Group

After repeating final year twice I failed my degree... Does it count?

Hey

Between 2009 and 2014 I studied a degree in Multimedia, Computing & Design but after my 3rd attempt at final year I failed the degree after giving up as I had only chosen to take on the degree naively to go to university for the experience.

I have always wanted to study medicine and for example specific universities say you can enter at graduate level using you degree as long as its your first degree.

Seeing as I failed the first degree and technically I was working full time for the duration of that degree I do not have it on my CV but will this affect my application?

Gary
Original post by GaryCr91
Hey

Between 2009 and 2014 I studied a degree in Multimedia, Computing & Design but after my 3rd attempt at final year I failed the degree after giving up as I had only chosen to take on the degree naively to go to university for the experience.

I have always wanted to study medicine and for example specific universities say you can enter at graduate level using you degree as long as its your first degree.

Seeing as I failed the first degree and technically I was working full time for the duration of that degree I do not have it on my CV but will this affect my application?

Gary

How badly did you fail if I may ask?
You generally need a 2:1 or above in a degree to get onto graduate entry medicine with loads of experience in a health care setting.
I'm warning you now though, GEM is a lot more competitive than applying fresh out of A Levels.
If your A Levels were good and included Chemistry and Biology with A grades you could apply for a 5 year course. If you didn't take these 2 subjects, you could try applying for Medicine with a foundation year, but you have to ask yourself whether or not it's financially viable.
Reply 2
Original post by Ninjasrule
How badly did you fail if I may ask?
You generally need a 2:1 or above in a degree to get onto graduate entry medicine with loads of experience in a health care setting.
I'm warning you now though, GEM is a lot more competitive than applying fresh out of A Levels.
If your A Levels were good and included Chemistry and Biology with A grades you could apply for a 5 year course. If you didn't take these 2 subjects, you could try applying for Medicine with a foundation year, but you have to ask yourself whether or not it's financially viable.

I ended up not finishing the final assignments. Why I am asking is because at present I am studying a Degree in Health Science, possibly nursing next year see below, and I was wondering if for example passing either nursing or the Health Science degrees, would they be counted as my first degree as I completed them or is the degree I failed going to be seen as a first degree? (University of Ulster will accept the first year which is equivalent to a certificate of higher education in Health Science as access to Adult Nursing)

I have a great reference from the care home I work in which is quite busy and is an all male, mental health focused 37 bed home and I am also applying for the trust.

I honestly just think I have screwed myself up from the beginning, 8 GCSE's grades A to C, 3 non science A Levels B, C, D. Personal reasons on subject choices and grades although all is regretted now.

A medical university in Dublin offer the 6 year programme which has a foundation year and as a mature student you only need 2 x any A Levels grade A to C and 4 GCSE's grade A to C + HPAT Test but as you said, funding could be the big worry.
Original post by GaryCr91
I ended up not finishing the final assignments. Why I am asking is because at present I am studying a Degree in Health Science, possibly nursing next year see below, and I was wondering if for example passing either nursing or the Health Science degrees, would they be counted as my first degree as I completed them or is the degree I failed going to be seen as a first degree? (University of Ulster will accept the first year which is equivalent to a certificate of higher education in Health Science as access to Adult Nursing)

I have a great reference from the care home I work in which is quite busy and is an all male, mental health focused 37 bed home and I am also applying for the trust.

I honestly just think I have screwed myself up from the beginning, 8 GCSE's grades A to C, 3 non science A Levels B, C, D. Personal reasons on subject choices and grades although all is regretted now.

A medical university in Dublin offer the 6 year programme which has a foundation year and as a mature student you only need 2 x any A Levels grade A to C and 4 GCSE's grade A to C + HPAT Test but as you said, funding could be the big worry.

Ahh okay, I only brought up A Levels because I thought you'd seriously messed up with how you made it sound haha :smile: If you have mitigating circumstances for your final year, you're in with a chance (albeit slim). You'd have to call up each place before applying and see whether or not they count that as your first degree.

If you're taking a 2nd degree in Health Sciences and get a 2:1 at least, a lot of unis will consider this - a few will actually consider your most recent degree rather than your first degree.
Take a look at this page to see which unis will accept you: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15889-graduate-entry-medicine-a-guide

This will bring the cost down as you'd only have to pay for 4 years but bear in mind that tuition fees are rising - students starting next year have to pay £9,250 per year.
Reply 4
If you failed the Multimedia degree then it can't be considered your first degree - you do not hold a degree level qualification. You have to actually pass a qualification for it to count. "First degree" means "first degree that you have been awarded".
Reply 5
Original post by Juno
If you failed the Multimedia degree then it can't be considered your first degree - you do not hold a degree level qualification. You have to actually pass a qualification for it to count. "First degree" means "first degree that you have been awarded".

Thanks Juno :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending