Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Law Personal Statement - How can I relate doing work experience at a bank to Law? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I'm currently writing a personal statement for Law, and have done work experience at both a Law firm and a Bank (during my time I got to go to all of the different departments to see what they do at each e.g Treasury, Trade etc.) . I was wondering how I can use my experience at the bank and apply it to Law? Any help would be greatly appreciated
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to write about everything you've done. Avoid tenuous links - if you can't think of anything, then there probably wasn't anything. Focus on extra reading instead
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roadrunner_)
    So I'm currently writing a personal statement for Law, and have done work experience at both a Law firm and a Bank (during my time I got to go to all of the different departments to see what they do at each e.g Treasury, Trade etc.) . I was wondering how I can use my experience at the bank and apply it to Law? Any help would be greatly appreciated
    It is unlikely you can get much out of it in terms of personal statement. At a push you could say it has given you a very thin foundation of commercial awareness, but you just don't need that for a degree. You don't even need the legal work experience - the degree is academic, and unis are far more interested in your academic ability/interest than your desire to join the profession (even though they accept a lot of people applying for a law degree have that desire).
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roadrunner_)
    If it answers the question "why do you want to study law" then consider mentioning your time at the Bank. But if it adds nothing or you're simply shoving it in because it is something you've done, then leave it out. Legal work experience is always worth mentioning provided you also talk about what you took from it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.