Mental Health help?!

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    So, I've suspected for a while that I may have an issue in terms of mental health, and that I seriously need to do something about it. It's become more pronounced recently as I've just joined a new sixth form - everyone seems to be able to get along and talk to each other whereas when I try to talk to people I either choose entirely the wrong moment or won't relate to what they're saying, and will stand there awkwardly while they'll continue their conversation, as i'm not sure what to say. I've got this narrowed down to three possibilities - either i'm overreacting (which would be entirely possible I guess), social anxiety and autism. I'm not sure about the autism one but I've looked it up and seem to display a lot of the signs - delayed speech, difficulty maintaining eye contact, gravitating to older/ younger children, difficulty starting/ maintaining conversations with others. However, i'm not sure if this is possible due to the fact it's never been mentioned about me before, and i'm much older than the three year diagnosis.

I can't ask my parents for help as they just tell me to 'be friendly', which I've tried to do - only this problem has gotten so bad I can't be in our common room without feeling pressurised/ crowded. I'm feeling pretty panicked as I honestly don't know what I can do to stop this.

Does anyone have any views/ could recommend what I should do??

ReputationRep:
    Mental health foundation or charity near you? Go there, I've heard that people there are particularly kind towards you and can help you with confidence issues.
    I agree, those misunderstanding parents keep on reminding us socially inept people what not to do in a social setting, how's that meant to help us be more confident

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    Mental health foundation or charity near you? Go there, I've heard that people there are particularly kind towards you and can help you with confidence issues.
    I agree, those misunderstanding parents keep on reminding us socially inept people what not to do in a social setting, how's that meant to help us be more confident
    I might try looking that up - yes, it's just really difficult because I know how i'm supposed to act, but acting that way's a completely different issue - thank you for the advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonymousUser63)
    So, I've suspected for a while that I may have an issue in terms of mental health, and that I seriously need to do something about it. It's become more pronounced recently as I've just joined a new sixth form - everyone seems to be able to get along and talk to each other whereas when I try to talk to people I either choose entirely the wrong moment or won't relate to what they're saying, and will stand there awkwardly while they'll continue their conversation, as i'm not sure what to say. I've got this narrowed down to three possibilities - either i'm overreacting (which would be entirely possible I guess), social anxiety and autism. I'm not sure about the autism one but I've looked it up and seem to display a lot of the signs - delayed speech, difficulty maintaining eye contact, gravitating to older/ younger children, difficulty starting/ maintaining conversations with others. However, i'm not sure if this is possible due to the fact it's never been mentioned about me before, and i'm much older than the three year diagnosis.

I can't ask my parents for help as they just tell me to 'be friendly', which I've tried to do - only this problem has gotten so bad I can't be in our common room without feeling pressurised/ crowded. I'm feeling pretty panicked as I honestly don't know what I can do to stop this.

Does anyone have any views/ could recommend what I should do??
    Definitely visit your GP if it's causing you problems. They'll be able to give you suitable advice, and if need be refer you to someone else for an assessment and/or treatment. Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I can understand what you are going through, and i know how fustrating and awkward it can feel in situations like these.

Maybe when in a group, try listening out for things you can relate to, and add something in response. I know that its easy to just say this, and harder to do, but if you hear something you relate to , try adding your input or even just saying something like "really?", shows you are interested, and make the conversation more comfortable.
    And maybe try asking questions too, "how did that go?" Etc

If you want to start a conversation with someone more easily, just smile and say hello and maybe start of with a question e.g. how are you finding this subject? Etc.
    And i know it can be hard, but dont overthink so much, just go for it! And if you feel its going awkwardly or you embarassed yourself, laugh it off and embrace your inner awkward and be fabulous

Maybe try joining some new clubs and societies to meet more people

But if you feel the problem is persisting and getting worse, pls talk to your gp as well

I hope this helps pls feel free to pm me, if you want to talk more about this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    Definitely visit your GP if it's causing you problems. They'll be able to give you suitable advice, and if need be refer you to someone else for an assessment and/or treatment. Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your advice I contacted my GP last February and he said he'd recommend me for behavioural therapy, although was very wary about diagnosis due to is going on my records - however, haven't heard back since then... will try chasing up to see what's going on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FabulouslyAwks)
    Hi, I can understand what you are going through, and i know how fustrating and awkward it can feel in situations like these.

Maybe when in a group, try listening out for things you can relate to, and add something in response. I know that its easy to just say this, and harder to do, but if you hear something you relate to , try adding your input or even just saying something like "really?", shows you are interested, and make the conversation more comfortable.
    And maybe try asking questions too, "how did that go?" Etc

If you want to start a conversation with someone more easily, just smile and say hello and maybe start of with a question e.g. how are you finding this subject? Etc.
    And i know it can be hard, but dont overthink so much, just go for it! And if you feel its going awkwardly or you embarassed yourself, laugh it off and embrace your inner awkward and be fabulous

Maybe try joining some new clubs and societies to meet more people

But if you feel the problem is persisting and getting worse, pls talk to your gp as well

I hope this helps pls feel free to pm me, if you want to talk more about this
    I'll try doing that, thank you for the help!

ReputationRep:
    Just speak to someone, back in school I had similar problems and was fully convinced I had social anxiety, but since then I met a few new friends and they shown me what was what and now am completely fine, can talk to anyone about anything!

But seriously I wouldn't worry, people won't notice it a lot, trust me.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Wake up and smell the...
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.