Turn on thread page Beta

media centre PCs/htpc watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    anyone got one of these, either prebuilt or self-built? What are they like to use? for anyone who's made one, what hardware are you using?

ReputationRep:
    Is windows media center edition a version of xp?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    Is windows media center edition a version of xp?
    It is I think, but I don't know if you can easily get hold of it to put it on self-build machines.

But with the internet, anything's possible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    It is I think, but I don't know if you can easily get hold of it to put it on self-build machines.

But with the internet, anything's possible
    yeah, its only meant for OEMs (ie built PCs), but....

ReputationRep:
    TechTv had a site that you could download it for about $40 but I'm not sure that was exactly legal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    TechTv had a site that you could download it for about $40 but I'm not sure that was exactly legal.
    Why pay to download something illegal when its easy enough to download it for free?
    Try bittorrent/emule
    Although iirc you cant always download the latest version... there used to be only a beta available but i think you can get a newer one now...

ReputationRep:
    yeah, tbh im not too concerned with the software; there is loads of free stuff even if i cant find media centre. ATM i'm more concerned with finding what sort of spec system i need for it to be any good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dickie)
    yeah, tbh im not too concerned with the software; there is loads of free stuff even if i cant find media centre. ATM i'm more concerned with finding what sort of spec system i need for it to be any good.
    that entirely depends upon your needs... ie. if you need HDTV playback; if you want to use it as a PVR and then want to convert video to xvid/divx to save space (you might be able to get a hardware xvid/divx encoder that can directly record to xvid/avi); and im sure there are other factors that i am not aware of...

ReputationRep:
    You can't buy XP Media Edition legally anywhere - since Microsoft decreed (for some bizarre reason) that only those that buy new pcs will get it.

You can adapt XP Pro pretty easily anyway : you need a TV tuner card and there's plenty of TV channel software around (monthly fee though)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mighty)
    You can't buy XP Media Edition legally anywhere - since Microsoft decreed (for some bizarre reason) that only those that buy new pcs will get it.

You can adapt XP Pro pretty easily anyway : you need a TV tuner card and there's plenty of TV channel software around (monthly fee though)
    you can find free listings software as well

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 23, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.