Canadian Students Applying for Law 2017

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Just thought I would make a thread for all the Canadians out there who are applying for law school this year. We could all share info and help each other out.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Derek,

Best of luck with your applications! I'm applying to Oxford Senior Status BA Jurisprudence, Bristol MA Law, Nottingham Graduate LLB, Edinburgh Graduate LLB, and the Exeter Graduate LLB! My top choices are in the order listed as well (except for Bristol/Notts they are tied).

What about you? What programs are you most interested? I'm applying from Wilfrid Laurier University with a 3.75/4.00 C.G.P.A and 3.91/4.00 Major C.G.P.A.

Looking forward to hearing from other people as well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nickman22)
    Hey Derek,

Best of luck with your applications! I'm applying to Oxford Senior Status BA Jurisprudence, Bristol MA Law, Nottingham Graduate LLB, Edinburgh Graduate LLB, and the Exeter Graduate LLB! My top choices are in the order listed as well (except for Bristol/Notts they are tied).

What about you? What programs are you most interested? I'm applying from Wilfrid Laurier University with a 3.75/4.00 C.G.P.A and 3.91/4.00 Major C.G.P.A.

Looking forward to hearing from other people as well!
    Hey,
    Im applying to UCL, KCL, Oxford, Bristol, and Durham for their LLB program. I'm currently a high school student with grade 11 average of 85% with predicted grades of 92%. Im currently averaging around 30 on my practice LNAT, I'm not sure if I have a realistic chance of getting accepted though.

ReputationRep:
    Applying from high school is always going to be less clear-cut, especially when you are considered an international student. I am a duel-national and have had many Canadian HS friends turned down by, say Durham and Bristol, but receive entry into schools like L.S.E and U.C.L. Try and be open-minded with that realization, but that being said, understand that your grades are fantastic and you should be proud! Slay the LNAT and I am sure you will find yourself in a fantastic position come late-January of 2018.

My biggest regret in life is not trying harder in high school. I was a moderate student, with an 82% average, but terrible SAT scores. I had no chance getting into a quality law school in the United Kingdom.
    After finding out what I wanted to study in university, that changed, and at the moment I hold the required grades to get into gradate accelerated/or normal LLB programs at Oxford, Bristol, Nottingham, Edinburgh, UCL, etc. We are all on our own path of education, but let it be known that you are in a fantastic position for success!

I have numerous friends in the United Kingdom whom have already secured trainee-solicitor contracts. PLEASE UNDERSTAND that $$$ in the United Kingdom, especially in the City of London, is ASTRONOMICALLY higher than in Canada, even Bay Street. So if I were you, get all of your ducks in a row, apply for a common-wealth work visa, and begin the quest for that Upper 2:1 Degree!!

Question--What would be your dream school out of your list?

At the moment my goal is Oxford as I have the necessary grades/CV, but my target is Bristol/Nottingham. All good schools on the list though.

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    Applying from high school is always going to be less clear-cut, especially when you are considered an international student. I am a duel-national and have had many Canadian HS friends turned down by, say Durham and Bristol, but receive entry into schools like L.S.E and U.C.L. Try and be open-minded with that realization, but that being said, understand that your grades are fantastic and you should be proud! Slay the LNAT and I am sure you will find yourself in a fantastic position come late-January of 2018.

My biggest regret in life is not trying harder in high school. I was a moderate student, with an 82% average, but terrible SAT scores. I had no chance getting into a quality law school in the United Kingdom.
    After finding out what I wanted to study in university, that changed, and at the moment I hold the required grades to get into gradate accelerated/or normal LLB programs at Oxford, Bristol, Nottingham, Edinburgh, UCL, etc. We are all on our own path of education, but let it be known that you are in a fantastic position for success!

I have numerous friends in the United Kingdom whom have already secured trainee-solicitor contracts. PLEASE UNDERSTAND that $$$ in the United Kingdom, especially in the City of London, is ASTRONOMICALLY higher than in Canada, even Bay Street. So if I were you, get all of your ducks in a row, apply for a common-wealth work visa, and begin the quest for that Upper 2:1 Degree!!

Question--What would be your dream school out of your list?

At the moment my goal is Oxford as I have the necessary grades/CV, but my target is Bristol/Nottingham. All good schools on the list though.

Best of luck

Thanks so much for the extra information, I really had no idea what living and working in London is like xD. My dream school out of the list would definitely be Oxford but my more realistic first choice would be KCl. I feel like KCL likes to welcome more Canadian students just based on what I've heard.

ReputationRep:
    KCL is a fantastic school, and honestly, from what I understand there is a certain list of Russell Group Universities in which City of London firms almost always pick from, this list is as followed

Band 1 (G.O.A.T Tier)
    Oxford - Cambridge
    * In this band you basically have your pick of whatever international / magic circle firm you want to get into--this includes getting into an Inns of Court, BUT, still pray you get that 2:1 degree equivalent

Band 2 (Russell Group Tier 1 )
    Nottingham - KCL - Durham - Bristol - LSE - UCL - Manchester - Warwick - Edinburgh
    * In this band you have Russell Group Universities and in these schools they are all pretty much the same, except that in order to succeed in getting a Trainee-Solicitor Contract you MUST get a 2:1 degree equivalent
    * UCL & LSE may argue that they are in their own "band", however, statistics promptly show (as well as national prestige) that all of the above universities have similar % of students whom receive trainee solicitor contracts

Band 3 (Russell Group Tier 2)
    Birmingham - Exeter - Leeds - Leicester - Sheffield - Cardiff - QMUL - York
    * These are still great schools, in particular, Birmingham and Exeter, however, evidence shows that not as many trainee-solicitors come from these schools. That being said, there is still a fair decent amount! So do not worry
    * In order to get into Magic Circle / City of London trainee contracts, you need to ensure that you receive an Upper 2:1 degree at the MINIMUM and a First Class Honours Degree.
    * Also know that I do KNOW of people whom have gone to these schools and got into insanely high paying firms like Latham & Watkins, Cleary Gotlieb, and Weil Gotshall

In the UK, things are a little different than Canada, firstly most firms hire on grades (obviously), but also based on the prestige of the school. They may say that is ******** and they want to be more diverse, however, statistics and evidence shows that is just smoke and mirrors. If you want to have some fun, go on LinkedIn and find the schools trainee solicitors went to before working at City of London firms!

Some Great Info Sites:
    http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/whe...d-universities
    * The ^ link is probably the best resource in terms of understanding what schools create the most trainee solicitors and lawyers--it ranks the school proportionately and is great to match your future goals as a lawyer

http://www.legalcheek.com/the-legal-...rms-most-list/
    * The ^ link is a great resource to find out more about the highest paying firms in London, their areas of practice, how much they pay, and how you can receive a trainee solicitor contract from them. All of the information is updated yearly.

I hope this helps and best of luck--Hopefully I will be seeing you at Oxford, and if not, perhaps as lawyers!

ReputationRep:
    KCL is a fantastic school, and honestly, from what I understand there is a certain list of Russell Group Universities in which City of London firms almost always pick from, this list is as followed

Band 1 (G.O.A.T Tier)
    Oxford - Cambridge
    * In this band you basically have your pick of whatever international / magic circle firm you want to get into--this includes getting into an Inns of Court, BUT, still pray you get that 2:1 degree equivalent

Band 2 (Russell Group Tier 1 )
    Nottingham - KCL - Durham - Bristol - LSE - UCL - Manchester - Warwick - Edinburgh
    * In this band you have Russell Group Universities and in these schools they are all pretty much the same, except that in order to succeed in getting a Trainee-Solicitor Contract you MUST get a 2:1 degree equivalent
    * UCL & LSE may argue that they are in their own "band", however, statistics promptly show (as well as national prestige) that all of the above universities have similar % of students whom receive trainee solicitor contracts

Band 3 (Russell Group Tier 2)
    Birmingham - Exeter - Leeds - Leicester - Sheffield - Cardiff - QMUL - York
    * These are still great schools, in particular, Birmingham and Exeter, however, evidence shows that not as many trainee-solicitors come from these schools. That being said, there is still a fair decent amount! So do not worry
    * In order to get into Magic Circle / City of London trainee contracts, you need to ensure that you receive an Upper 2:1 degree at the MINIMUM and a First Class Honours Degree.
    * Also know that I do KNOW of people whom have gone to these schools and got into insanely high paying firms like Latham & Watkins, Cleary Gotlieb, and Weil Gotshall

In the UK, things are a little different than Canada, firstly most firms hire on grades (obviously), but also based on the prestige of the school. They may say that is ******** and they want to be more diverse, however, statistics and evidence shows that is just smoke and mirrors. If you want to have some fun, go on LinkedIn and find the schools trainee solicitors went to before working at City of London firms!

Some Great Info Sites:
    http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/whe...d-universities
    * The ^ link is probably the best resource in terms of understanding what schools create the most trainee solicitors and lawyers--it ranks the school proportionately and is great to match your future goals as a lawyer

http://www.legalcheek.com/the-legal-...rms-most-list/
    * The ^ link is a great resource to find out more about the highest paying firms in London, their areas of practice, how much they pay, and how you can receive a trainee solicitor contract from them. All of the information is updated yearly.

I hope this helps and best of luck--Hopefully I will be seeing you at Oxford, and if not, perhaps as lawyers!
    Wow I never knew that the pay is that much higher compared to Canada, thanks so much for the information. Quick question, if I submit my application at October 10th (LNAT October 15th) when do you think I will be receiving offers/rejections.

ReputationRep:
    I am not sure, but the turn-around from what I understand is insanely quick. Bristol's MA Law program, for example, has a turnaround of 12-16 days! It is definitely different for senior status llb and MA Law programs.
    Law, however, is usually the last program that students get offers. Mostly because there is so much competition--so expect some offers in November, early December and mid January!

Let me know if there is anything else that you are interested in!

ReputationRep:
    I am in grade 12 and doing IB program in Ontario, graduating July 2017. I have applied for LLB Law to the university of Sheffield (1st choice) , the university of Liverpool (2nd choice), the university of Manchester (3rd choice), University of Leeds (4th choice) and Manchester Metropolitan university (safe choice). I got an email from the university of Sheffield saying that they are considering my application and I got a similar email from the university of Liverpool - Liverpool also assigned me a student i.d#. I sent in my application to UCAS on September 6, 2016. Sheffield is asking for 37 IB points while Liverpool is only asking for 33. I think I have a better shot at Liverpool. Still waiting for the offers to trickle in. Enala

ReputationRep:
    I am in grade 12 and doing IB program in Ontario, graduating July 2017. I have applied for LLBLaw to the university of Sheffield (1st choice) , the university of Liverpool (2nd choice), the university of Manchester (3rd choice), University of Leeds (4th choice) and Manchester Metropolitan university (safe choice). I go an email fro the university of Sheffield saying that they ae considering my application and I got a similar email from the university of Liverpool - Liverpool also assigned me a student i.d#. I sent in my application to UCAS on September 6, 2016. Sheffield is asking for 37 IB points while Liverpool is only asking for 33. I think I have a better shot at Liverpool. Enala

ReputationRep:
    I am not sure, but the turn-around from what I understand is insanely quick. Bristol's MA Law program, for example, has a turnaround of 12-16 days! It is definitely different for senior status llb and MA Law programs.
    Law, however, is usually the last program that students get offers. Mostly because there is so much competition--so expect some offers in November, early December and mid January!

Let me know if there is anything else that you are interested in!
    Hey I'm trying to pick 1 non-lnat university for my application, right now I'm deciding between Warwick and QMUL. In your opinion what do you think is the overall better choice in terms of job prospects afterwards and prestige.

ReputationRep:
    Warwick

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys writing my LNAT on the 15th, how are you guys preparing I've been doing Mark Sheppard practice tests and writing some practice essays.

ReputationRep:
    To all Law hopefuls, I got an offer from the University of Liverpool yesterday. Asking for 33 IB points, simply overjoyed as Liverpool is one of my top two choices, I can now focus on studying hard to meet the grades.

Enala

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations! Kill it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emwanza)
    to all law hopefuls, i got an offer from the university of liverpool yesterday. Asking for 33 ib points, simply overjoyed as liverpool is one of my top two choices, i can now focus on studying hard to meet the grades.

Enala
    congratz!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the congrats.
    Enala

ReputationRep:
    More good news! I received a conditional offer from the University of Manchester yesterday. Asking for 32 IB points but 6, 6, 6 in high-level subjects including English. Came as a bit of a surprise because I expected to hear from them last. They must have liked my personal statement. It seems like I am going to have a real choice. 2 out 5, 3 more to go. Sheffield told me that they cannot issue offers till the tuition fees for 2017 are set.

Enala

ReputationRep:
    Just got my conditional offer from QMUL prett excited as its my top 3 hype.

ReputationRep:
    Good for you, Derek!. I also got some good news myself. The University of Sheffield has given me a conditional offer. Asking for 36 IB points with a 5 in English. So that is 3 out of 5. So this is how I understand with my offers:

1. The University of Liverpool
    Conditional offer asking fro 32 IB points, a 5 in Maths and no subject less than 4.
    Offer received on October 13, 2016

2. The University of Manchester
    Conditional offer asking for 32 IB points with 6, 6, 6 in higher level subjects and a 5 in English
    Offer received on October 26, 2016

3. TheUniversity of Sheffield
    Conditional offer asking 36 IB points with a 5 in English

4. University of Leeds
    Offer pending

5. Manchester Metropolitan University
    Offer pending but I think I will remove it from my UCAS choices if I do not hear from them soon - this was my backup

Any idea which one I should choose?

Enala

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.