The Student Room Group

Does A level Russian count as a facilitating language subject?

I'm thinking of taking sociology, politics and histroy, I have the capability of doing maths/biology but I think it will be too hard, so I want one more facilitating subject to be able to be accepted into a Russell group university so will Russian count? And also I might as well ask, is it better to take easier subjects and get AAA or take harder subjects and get AAB??
Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
Bumppp
Hey. I am in year 13. It depends what you want to do at university. The best thing is to pick subjects that are the most relevant to the degree you want to do. Picking the hardest is not always the answer, because i picked Maths, Further Maths and Computer Science (already done Russian A Level), execting to get into UCL and Kings; however, the grades where not good enough for those universities. My 1 offer from university specified what grades they want from what subject and they did not include Russian ( the others allowed Russian A Level) If you speak it fluently the A level Russian is not hard. I struggled alot with the writing as i didnt revised for it much but I got an A. Once again, you can get in to Russel group university with BTEC subjects, its the relevance what matters the most. However, if you dont have required A levels, universities might look at other factors, Personal Statement or extra things you do outside school, or might put you on extra exams like STEP paper (if you want to do maths). Also universities like UCL really value people that know an extra language, having qualification is even better. If you get that A level, 1/3 of your A levels are done. so either way its win for you.
If you're not fluent, then yes. If you are, often unis don't include that A Level in your entry requirement as it's kind of a cheat way into getting a very high grade, but I think you would have to research some more.
Original post by valdokarina
I'm thinking of taking sociology, politics and histroy, I have the capability of doing maths/biology but I think it will be too hard, so I want one more facilitating subject to be able to be accepted into a Russell group university so will Russian count? And also I might as well ask, is it better to take easier subjects and get AAA or take harder subjects and get AAB??

Russell group universities don't recommend facilitating subjects because they prefer them. Facilitating just means flexible. Those A levels are suitable preparation for a broad spectrum of university courses.

If you want to study history or a social science (politics, anthropology, politics, IR etc) then your current three choices are fine (they're all on LSEs preferred subject list). The only reason to take a fourth subject is because you enjoy it and expect to do well in it without damaging your chances on your other subjects.
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
Russell group universities don't recommend facilitating subjects because they prefer them. Facilitating just means flexible. Those A levels are suitable preparation for a broad spectrum of university courses.

If you want to study history or a social science (politics, anthropology, politics, IR etc) then your current three choices are fine (they're all on LSEs preferred subject list). The only reason to take a fourth subject is because you enjoy it and expect to do well in it without damaging your chances on your other subjects.

I see, thank you

Quick Reply

Latest