Turn on thread page Beta

Changes to A-Level System from 2008 watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...04/nedu104.xml

A* grade
    4 modules instead of 6
    Harder papers
    More essay-style questions

Hm. Says they're implemented it from 2008 onwards? Does that mean if I start A-Levels in 2007 (i.e I'm going into Year 12 in September) I won't be affected? Does it only mean those who start the A-level syllabi in 2008?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    We’ve gone over this multiple times, but anyway...

If you start your A-Levels this coming September 2007, when you do your A2 modules in September 2008, you will not be affected by these changes. You will only be affected by these changes providing you start in September 2008 and do your A2 modules in September 2009.

ReputationRep:
    If ur starting your A levels in Sep, then u wont be affected lol (Lucky u, im strting mine in 2008 grr)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    We’ve gone over this multiple times, but anyway...

If you start your A-Levels this coming September 2007, when you do your A2 modules in September 2008, you will not be affected by these changes. You will only be affected by these changes providing you start in September 2008 and do your A2 modules in September 2009.
    Brilliant, thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    4 modules, harder, more essays

hmm, i'd still be in favour of the current system.

ReputationRep:
    It only affects people that have just finished yr 10 and people younger. And yeah, I think the system should stay as it is, but hey.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Legend Killer)
    hmm, i'd still be in favour of the current system.
    Why do you favour the current system? While the changed system will still have flaws (e.g.: unlimited re-sits for each module), it will be a lot better and more demanding than the current system where 24% of grades awarded are A and universities are unable to differentiate between the brightest.

ReputationRep:
    Thank god...

ReputationRep:
    Well, if 24% of grades are As, why not just raise the boundaries? Or make 90% UMS rather than 80% an A? Yeah, harsh, but hey. That'll seperate the top students from the very top!

ReputationRep:
    Harder papers? Have you seen the changes AQA are making to A Level psychology? ****ing ridiculous, looks like a SATS paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purple-girl)
    Well, if 24% of grades are As, why not just raise the boundaries? Or make 90% UMS rather than 80% an A? Yeah, harsh, but hey. That'll seperate the top students from the very top!
    That has been said and the main reply to that is that someone who got an A before this system was implemented would look the same to one who had to get 90% to get the A after the system was implemented...it would cause inaccuracies in comparisons with jobs etc. (especially competitve ones that cut off applicants if they don't have say AAB or equivalent at A Level).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by purple-girl)
    There are many problems with simply changing the grade boundaries, which is why they’re introducing a new grade. However, in the long term I think we’ll see greater change (i.e.: only A2 modules counting towards the A-Level), or something else which makes it much harder to get top grades... but of course even these changes will cause problems when comparing the new ‘A-Levels’ to the old ones.

ReputationRep:
    But grade boundaries constantly change. There is no need to change the percentage UMS, but some papers you need ridiculously low raw marks to get an A. They should just say that the top 10% get A, the next 20% get B, the next 20% get C etc, rather than having a limitless amount of people able to achieve top grades.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I see what you mean about the problems with a new system like the one I mentioned. As for the inaccuracies with the grades, couldn't they just look at the overall UMS marks, rather than the grades though?

Now I like what Greenmile's said. Top 10% of candidates get an A, next 20% a B and whatever. Or just make the raw grade boundaries higher.

ReputationRep:
    I think they should or may soon take into account the UMS mark...hoping that it is scaled accurately from the raw mark to ensure that all A levels can be compared. At the end of the day...it's going to go down to the last mark because so many people are getting As.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thelfo)
    Harder papers? Have you seen the changes AQA are making to A Level psychology? ****ing ridiculous, looks like a SATS paper.
    I just finished AQA Psychology this year so I'd be interested to find out what changes are being made... is there info on the AQA website?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissSurfer)
    I just finished AQA Psychology this year so I'd be interested to find out what changes are being made... is there info on the AQA website?
    This is an example of the new papers..

ReputationRep:
    I think it's an insult to those of us who had to do psychology this year.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Thelfo)
    I think it's an insult to those of us who had to do psychology this year.
    Indeed, it is. But the same will be happening across the board to all subjects, unless the QCA step in and take a stand (which is unlikely to happen).

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I made a thread about that not too long ago. And the QCA have approved the spec in the last few days so it's all for the go!

Makes a mockery of "Harder, more essay questions" really.. though it's strange how the Sociology papers haven't changed much at all in comparison.

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.