Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I've been given some homework with 3 questions on a case study called "Getting Started in Business - the Cronut Craze" and I've done the first 2 questions. I'm just stuck on this question:
    "Analyse whether Dominique Ansel has spotted a gap in the market or developed an innovative product or process"
    Please help as it's due in for Thursday and to be honest, I don't understand this question that much (I'm new to business so it's a bit confusing for now.)
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    x

ReputationRep:
    Helo, if you need quick help on this, please visit our site at EssayAcer.wordpress.com

ReputationRep:
    Argue Yes and No.

Yes because there is no such thing as a cronut (new hybrid pastry — half croissant, half doughnut) and he has managed to trademark the name.

No because all he has done is combined two pre-existing products; which is an innovative process.

Remember in business there usually is not a right or wrong answer, it is your ability to argue for and against. Often, you will get better marks for presenting two points of view.

hamza ahmad luton 786 hertfordshire hamzaahmad786

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamzaahmad786)
    Argue Yes and No.

Yes because there is no such thing as a cronut (new hybrid pastry — half croissant, half doughnut) and he has managed to trademark the name.

No because all he has done is combined two pre-existing products; which is an innovative process.

Remember in business there usually is not a right or wrong answer, it is your ability to argue for and against. Often, you will get better marks for presenting two points of view.

hamza ahmad luton 786 hertfordshire hamzaahmad786
    Don't do this. Take a position and stand by it - do not sit in the fence. Of course you should highlight limitations etc, but don't be vague.

Assess the market; is there demand? Does he fill a gap with his product? Does he have a USP (is it healthier? Gluten free? Fair trade equivalency? Etc.).
    Is his product an innovation? A hybrid of two existing products is still an innovation and most entrepreneurs build on improving existing ideas... Again maybe identify areas for improvement and take a firm stand.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.