Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I heard there was another 4 in addition to Oxbridge, is that right?
    Which unis are they?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Lancaster and Durham do, but they're the only ones I know of outside Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    Isnt london a one with all its colleges

ReputationRep:
    Durham and Lancaster are two of them, am trying to find the others. Collegiate in these two cases means rather different things from what it means at Oxbridge, though.

Sorry - mypaperheart got there first!

ReputationRep:
    york and kent are the other two.

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collegiate_university

Sounds like London and Wales are the other two - but this entry in Wiki doesn't mention Lancaster - which may reflect the fact that at Lancaster the colleges are effectively residence based, although non-residents students are members of a college as well, even if they've never lived in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goali2)
    york and kent are the other two.
    http://www.york.ac.uk/univ/coll/

http://www.kent.ac.uk/studying/where...rbury/ukc.html

very similar model to Lancaster

http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/colleges/colleges.htm

ReputationRep:
    Roehampton has four 'colleges', although teaching takes place centrally so I'm not sure if it counts as a collegiate university. They say it does in all of their literature though.

ReputationRep:
    A bit of an anomaly is the University of Dublin, which has just one college - Trinity College. Nobody bothered to found any more.

St. Andrews and Aberdeen had colleges, untill financial problems forced them to unite and eventually merge with the university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by empfrench)
    A bit of an anomaly is the University of Dublin, which has just one college - Trinity College. Nobody bothered to found any more.
    What about University College Dublin? http://www.ucd.ie/

ReputationRep:
    University Of London is an obvious one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shady lane)
    What about University College Dublin? http://www.ucd.ie/
    UCD is a college of the National University of Ireland, which also has colleges at Cork, Galway and Maynooth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by empfrench)
    UCD is a college of the National University of Ireland, which also has colleges at Cork, Galway and Maynooth.
    Oh weird? Are they trying to sound like they're affiliated with TCD or something :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shady lane)
    Oh weird? Are they trying to sound like they're affiliated with TCD or something :confused:
    There was a proposal in the 70s for UCD to join the University of Dublin, but Trinity College students, who generally regard themselves as somewhat superior to their UCD rivals (from what many TCD alumni have told me) scuppered the move.

ReputationRep:
    York also has colleges.

There was a bit of a barney over this in another thread in here, in that depending on how you define the collegiate system, there's either two, three, or more collegiate universities. Oxford and Cambridge colleges are all autonomous institutions, that organise some teaching as well as the students' lives. Durham colleges organise residential issues, but the faculties take care of all the teaching. In York, Lancaster and other places, the "college" is just a complex of buildings where people live that isn't really any different from the Halls at other unis.

ReputationRep:
    Aha. Okay thanks everyone :]
    So to consider colleges as little mini communities, it's probably just Oxford, Cambridge and Durham then.. that's kinda what I meant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xPunkx)
    Aha. Okay thanks everyone :]
    So to consider colleges as little mini communities, it's probably just Oxford, Cambridge and Durham then.. that's kinda what I meant.
    Oxford and Cambridge are the only two with completely seperate teaching in-college and completely financially independant colleges. Durham is small and bears a resemblence to Cambridge, but is actually far more like Lancaster in organisation. The difference I think you are looking for is between collegiate town and campus universities, in which case Oxford, Cambridge and Durham are indeed the only ones (excluding London for obvious reasons of size).

ReputationRep:
    And Roehampton lol!! It's made up of four colleges which are distinct in that they organise their own accommodation and are run, as far as possible, as distinct entities. Teaching takes place centrally but all students are accepted as part of a college - graduation etc takes place on a college by college basis, and not by department. Roehampton advertises itself as the only other 'true' collegiate university outside of Oxbridge - not sure how true this is but it definitely has a collegiate structure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paeony)
    And Roehampton lol!! It's made up of four colleges which are distinct in that they organise their own accommodation and are run, as far as possible, as distinct entities. Teaching takes place centrally but all students are accepted as part of a college - graduation etc takes place on a college by college basis, and not by department. Roehampton advertises itself as the only other 'true' collegiate university outside of Oxbridge - not sure how true this is but it definitely has a collegiate structure.
    Yes, Lancaster graduations are done like this too - college by college rather than with your department, which is a bit of a disappointment as it means you don't graduate with the friends you have made on your course.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's a real shame ... I didn't realise this until it was too late to do anything about it, and I wasn't able to graduate with any of my friends (or even my partner!) as I was the only one in my college taking my courses.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.