The Student Room Group

Social work MA

Hi!!! Any advice would be much appreciated and greatly received....I'm due to start my final year on a BA social work course. I'm starting to think about next year and would love to work with children and families and eventually in child protection. That said, my experience is limited. I am due to start a placement in that area, which is great.I feel my knowledge is limited and think I would really benefit from doing an MA in social work next year, giving me even more experience (2 further placements) and greater knowledge and understanding.

However, whenever I bring this up with people, specifically qualified social workers and professionals, I get the impression that it's unusual for someone who is a qualified social worker (as I hope to be next year) to do an MA in social work.

Has anyone done both the BA and MA in social work?!?! Thank you in Advance :-)
What do they suggest instead? What do your tutors suggest? Have you looked at any job specs and seen what is expected? Is work exprience the way to go?
Reply 2
I'm undertaking a undergraduate course in education studies and I've changed my mind and now want to do social work, I've been told if I complete a masters in social work it makes my degree more acceptable in regards to social work jobs. It's honestly up to you in what you want to do, from your undergraduate course you're completely qualified to go out into the industry and be fine!! Maybe in a few years when you have more experience you can go back and do your masters?? (So then you will have more to write about) ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm a qualified social worker and did an BA in social work. I felt exactly like this when I finished as I had not done a stat placement or really a placement with children! I worked a year with a charity then moved to LA children social work. I have never heard of anyone doing the BA then the MA. I don't think there is much point to be honest! Because your learning a lot of the same stuff.. so if you imagine on the MA will be people who are generally not social workers so they will be taught a lot of the same things you have been. I do get about the placements but honestly I feel if you don't feel ready to move to statutory social work do a year or so in a job where you can develop some of those skills. :smile: it's a pretty anxious time! Sometimes you do have to bite the bullet! The asye schemes are good you will get lots of support and training! Hope this helps xx
Original post by Warny87
Hi!!! Any advice would be much appreciated and greatly received....I'm due to start my final year on a BA social work course. I'm starting to think about next year and would love to work with children and families and eventually in child protection. That said, my experience is limited. I am due to start a placement in that area, which is great.I feel my knowledge is limited and think I would really benefit from doing an MA in social work next year, giving me even more experience (2 further placements) and greater knowledge and understanding.

However, whenever I bring this up with people, specifically qualified social workers and professionals, I get the impression that it's unusual for someone who is a qualified social worker (as I hope to be next year) to do an MA in social work.

Has anyone done both the BA and MA in social work?!?! Thank you in Advance :-)

There are quite a few social worker graduate programmes that you may be interested in. Have a quick search on google. Think one is called the Think Ahead programme.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending