The Student Room Group

Just Asking

Hi,

I was just wondering what sort of things do you do in AS Media Studies? Just so I can prepare myself for it all!

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
Oh hi! It's quite funny because I'm in a media lesson right now lool

I've just started it too!

Did you do it for GCSE?
Not a lot. Watching films mostly and sitting around a circle talking about what you liked about it
Reply 3
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Not a lot. Watching films mostly and sitting around a circle talking about what you liked about it

Surely that's film studies...
Reply 4
Original post by 123moon
Oh hi! It's quite funny because I'm in a media lesson right now lool

I've just started it too!

Did you do it for GCSE?

Aha and no we couldn't do it for GCSE at my school
Original post by samg125
Surely that's film studies...

The world of media and entertainment is a broad, fickle and mysterious land young one
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
I did film studies gcse and in the exam we watched a clip from spider man 3 times and had to talk about the use of lightening/ sound / special effects to create tension lmao
Reply 7
Original post by fefssdf
I did film studies gcse and in the exam we watched a clip from spider man 3 times and had to talk about the use of lightening/ sound / special effects to create tension lmao

Think media is more analysing - well I hope so otherwise imma fail cause I wont hear the films properly...
Reply 8
Original post by Pinkberry_y
The world of media and entertainment is a broad, fickle and mysterious land young one

hahaha
Reply 9
Original post by fefssdf

think we might have to do a bit of that? Im hoping its more analysing than watching!
Original post by samg125
think we might have to do a bit of that? Im hoping its more analysing than watching!

Yeh I assume so but I don't think it's gonna be too strenuous
Reply 11
Original post by samg125
Aha and no we couldn't do it for GCSE at my school

Ohh but don't worry it's actually very fun!

Currently at the moment we are analysing still images (so magazine covers etc.) and moving images (so film trailers, adverts and even music videos) by finding hidden meanings about representation of gender, race etc. and we basically write PEE paragraphs and things so if you enjoy critiquing and enjoyed English at GCSE you will enjoy it. :smile:
Reply 12
There's also the technical side though of lighting, shot types, iconography, mise-en-scene (everything within the scene say setting etc.) but don't worry you will pick it up easily and comes to you naturally.

Quick Reply

Latest