Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infekt)
    15 kilo dumbells in both hands , i dont like the squatting machines at my gym , i cant get my posture rite whn i use em ... i know its nothing but im new to weight training , should have started at 10
    Dont you use a barbell?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ResidentEvil)
    hey, thats great advice, cheers. Do you do 5km in one-go each day? or do u space it out? 5km in one go on a tread mill is extreme. I might cut-down on meaty foods - any suggestions of any healthy semi-diet meals without leaving you hungry afterwards?
    5km isnt much really, should only take about 15-20 minutes to do

ReputationRep:
    hey, thats great advice, cheers. Do you do 5km in one-go each day? or do u space it out? 5km in one go on a tread mill is extreme. I might cut-down on meaty foods - any suggestions of any healthy semi-diet meals without leaving you hungry afterwards?
    yup in one go , u can take a break but dont let ur heart rate go down by much when u pause . Then when u start again it takes a lot more effort to get it up again and u end up tired and frustrated . i dont think its too extreme , this old man who comes to my gym does 5 miles !!

drinking a lot of water doesnt make me hungry after a workout , but if i need an enegry boost , i just make a cool milkshake ( skimmed if u wanna lose weight ) wiht mangoes or some other sweet fruit (so u dont put any excess sugar in )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thenarbisbanned)
    5km isnt much really, should only take about 15-20 minutes to do
    ummm doesnt that break the world-record???? how many miles is 5Km?

ReputationRep:
    Dont you use a barbell?
    i find the dumbells more portable , dont get in the way much

ReputationRep:
    About 3..

ReputationRep:
    about 2 or 3 i guess ....

certainly not a world record , arent marathons close to 20 kms ? or miles ... ?

ReputationRep:
    i find the dumbells more portable , dont get in the way much
    Yeh but youre not really squatting a heavy enough weight using dumbells, try using a barbell, it takes a while to get it right, but then you can really start sticking some proper weight on

ReputationRep:
    Yeh but youre not really squatting a heavy enough weight using dumbells, try using a barbell, it takes a while to get it right, but then you can really start sticking some proper weight on
    will try that once my robot legs become more humanlike again

ReputationRep:
    it takes me 14 minutes to run the schools cross-country, and that's about 2 miles. You lot are pretty fit by the sound of things

ReputationRep:
    http://www.stumptuous.com/badsquat.html

Look at 'backsquat'

Thats how to do them with a barbell

ReputationRep:
    I prefer exercising right after I wake up. Is it bad to work out on an empty stomach?

The answer to your question is both yes and no. If you do a basic cardio workout such as running, biking or rowing first thing in the morning for no longer than 30 minutes, exercising on an empty stomach can be beneficial. However, many people tend to take the idea to the extreme, and will go all day without eating and then try to work out, which is not a good thing. Also, if you have any medical problems like low blood pressure, diabetes, or high or low blood sugar levels, I don’t advise working out at any time on an empty stomach, as your body may have a negative reaction.
    The advantage of working out on an empty stomach first thing in the morning is that you have just enough energy stored from the night before to fuel your workout, and you also have a greater chance of burning stored fat, which will cause you to lose weight. This is due to the fact that, because your stomach is empty, you are more likely to burn calories already stored as fat, as opposed to using calories from recently digested food in your system.

Working out on an empty stomach does not speed up your metabolism. But it does help to kick-start it by increasing your heart rate, circulation and the amount of incoming oxygen, all things which help your body function more efficiently throughout the day.

Exercising for more than 30 minutes on an empty stomach or at the end of the day is unhealthy and unadvisable since, without the necessary energy to fuel your workout, your body will start using your muscles as an energy source. This is not an efficient form of energy, and you may overexert yourself and experience dizziness or dehydration.

Weight training on an empty stomach is also not advisable, since a lot of energy is required for this kind of workout. Without the necessary energy, you won’t be able to work your muscles efficiently and increase muscle mass. Weight training is one of the best ways to burn calories and consequently lose weight, because the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn. So, despite what most people think, starving yourself is the least effective way to lose weight, especially if you want the results to last.

Although working out on an empty stomach can help you lose weight, it will not happen overnight, and should not be used as a long-term solution to weight loss. Maintaining a healthy weight requires a lifestyle that includes a balanced diet and regular exercise.
    found tht on the net , hope it helps

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, the only problem is, after having fasted for 12 hours, you are in an EXTREMELY catabolic state, remember muscle is heavier than fat, so your body is actually more likely to use your muscle than fat as energy anyway, coupled with the fact that you havent eaten for ages, generally means its likely youre gonna be burning some muscle. Not really a problem unless youve got lots of it and want to keep it though

ReputationRep:
    Exercising for more than 30 minutes on an empty stomach or at the end of the day is unhealthy and unadvisable since, without the necessary energy to fuel your workout, your body will start using your muscles as an energy source. This is not an efficient form of energy, and you may overexert yourself and experience dizziness or dehydration.
    ahh, that would explain my diziness!. I started working out about 4.5 hours after I ate. So what times after eating do u recommend exercise then?

I think im definitely going to do probably just a quick 5-10 minutes of exercise in the morning before breakfast, because I remember my P.E. teacher told us to do that ages back when we were training for a football tournament in school.

ReputationRep:
    i do 100 skips on my skipping rope a day - how lame is that?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, the only problem is, after having fasted for 12 hours, you are in an EXTREMELY catabolic state, remember muscle is heavier than fat, so your body is actually more likely to use your muscle than fat as energy anyway, coupled with the fact that you havent eaten for ages, generally means its likely youre gonna be burning some muscle. Not really a problem unless youve got lots of it and want to keep it though
    I see yer point actually. I'll do internet research now (no mens health malarki ).

ReputationRep:
    ahh, that would explain my diziness!. I started working out about 4.5 hours after I ate. So what times after eating do u recommend exercise then?

I think im definitely going to do probably just a quick 5-10 minutes of exercise in the morning before breakfast, because I remember my P.E. teacher told us to do that ages back when we were training for a football tournament in school.
    i think it depends from person to person ... try excercising after an hour , see how u feel after that .

if u have fat stores they get used as energy , sumthing to do with glycogen , cnat remember my 9th grade bio perfectly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    i do 100 skips on my skipping rope a day - how lame is that?
    muhammad ali used to do that and id guess more , and he wasnt lame was he

ReputationRep:
    oh yeah i just remembered something, are you meant to just throw yerself onto the floor and rest after exercise, or are you meant to stay up by leaning or sitting upright (whilst constantly breathing in more oxygen)?

oh i also found this on a website
    Avoid mixing exercise and food
    Wait at least 2 hours after eating before exercise. And, after exercise, wait about 20 minutes before eating.

ReputationRep:
    oh yeah i just remembered something, are you meant to just throw yerself onto the floor and rest after exercise, or are you meant to stay up by leaning or sitting upright (whilst constantly breathing in more oxygen)?
    as long as u breathe id say u were fine ... i lies down on the mat they have where ppl do situps after a really exhaustng session

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.