The Student Room Group

Skinny girl models naked: "objectification". Fat girl does it: "empowering"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Horny Hafiz
I am so pissed off rn, if a fat man were to release a video saying how much he wants to play for Manchester United but that Jose Mourinho said he needs to lose weight and get in shape and he's being oppressed, nobody would take that seriously, but as soon as a White woman does it, people expect a ****ing pity party. Christ almighty.

That's such a ridiculous comparison lmao. If the man was fat, he would most likely not have the stamina and health to be a footballer. But that woman, looks like a good weight to me. Her body would not stop her from being a good model, but unfortunately, the industry wants rail thin, size 0 models.
Original post by Horny Hafiz
So they thought she was a good candidate, but upon closer inspection, they realised they don't want her. Ok, cool.

Her losing weight isn't a guarantee she will get work, it may actually be due to her natural bone structure, she said she's 19 and been modelling for 5 years so she started when she's 14, her hips widened with puberty. She's blatantly delusional and if she goes on the diet and kills herself, I have no sympathy, it's her own idiocy. Also bear in mind that the female modelling industry, has far more niches than exists for men, so if she were really that good, she would get work without trying to force herself into something she's blatantly not built for, I mean FFS there are chubby female models

Also as I said to someone last night, her body shape is a prime example of female solipsism, it's only women who think that's beautiful. As a man, that's disgusting.

It's very rare for someone to naturally have all the measurements of a model(cara Delevingne).

Even people commented on Gigi Hadid's weight calling her fat(Instagram). http://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/celebs/a48299/blanca-padilla-called-fat-gigi-hadid/
Gigi is one of the most successful models in the industry right now.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by KingBradly
Why is it that when a skinny girl models naked it's considered "objectifying", but when a fat girl models nude it's "empowering"?

It's empowering because plus size girls are subject to oppressive social structures, so for them to be naked in the face of these oppressive social structures is empowering.
Original post by VinnicombeDmv
I'm not a fan of the double standard usually applied to body sizes, but here's my 2p:

The way I see it, supposed "plus size" models aren't too common in the model industry, so it's empowering to them to show that it's ok to not be a skinny twig, but that empowerment is lost for skinny models because they're just all so common.

Please don't refer to slim women as skinny twigs. Don't put down women like me just because we are healthy and not succumbing to obesity and laziness. :thumbsup:
It's the feminists making noise again. They keep complaining about 'unrealistic expectations' of women in the media, and try to present some of what they call 'normal' women who are fatter than the average woman of that age to make themselves feel better about their insecurities. Any man who goes outside can see many normal women, who are generally not as fat as the 'normal' women the feminists want you to think are normal. It is completely ridiculous to suggest that men do not know what women actually look like.
Original post by TheIr0nDuke
Jealousy, I expect. Many feminists outraged by this trash tend to be overweight.

Having said that, modelling agencies should use neither. Use a female/male with an average figure that is considered healthy.

Disagree.
You shouldn't use 'average' figures because the average dress size is probably overweight. Our average body weight has increased substantially since the 50s. And people were perfectly healthy back then.

Original post by Unown Uzer
It's the feminists making noise again. They keep complaining about 'unrealistic expectations' of women in the media, and try to present some of what they call 'normal' women who are fatter than the average woman of that age to make themselves feel better about their insecurities. Any man who goes outside can see many normal women, who are generally not as fat as the 'normal' women the feminists want you to think are normal. It is completely ridiculous to suggest that men do not know what women actually look like.

I wouldn't say it's down to feminism. It's mostly women who feel self-conscious about their bodies. Not necessarily feminists.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by saraxh
I'm naturally skinny myself but the industry is ridiculous.
[video="youtube;4hEMv9QUIzE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hEMv9QUIzE[/video]

you look stunning in the video ! *
Original post by saraxh
I'm naturally skinny myself but the industry is ridiculous.
[video="youtube;4hEMv9QUIzE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hEMv9QUIzE[/video]

Ironic. Too big for modelling, too skinny for my taste.
Original post by Twinpeaks
Disagree.
You shouldn't use 'average' figures because the average dress size is probably overweight. Our average body weight has increased substantially since the 50s. And people were perfectly healthy back then.

I wouldn't say it's down to feminism. It's mostly women who feel self-conscious about their bodies. Not necessarily feminists.

Fair point, I hadn't considered that.

An average healthy body weight should be required then.
Original post by drowzee
That's such a ridiculous comparison lmao. If the man was fat, he would most likely not have the stamina and health to be a footballer. But that woman, looks like a good weight to me. Her body would not stop her from being a good model, but unfortunately, the industry wants rail thin, size 0 models.

It's for the individual company's and designers to decide, she's being a complete brat by releasing her narcisstic rant nobody cares about or wants to see

Original post by saraxh
It's very rare for someone to naturally have all the measurements of a model(cara Delevingne).

Even people commented on Gigi Hadid's weight calling her fat(Instagram). http://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/celebs/a48299/blanca-padilla-called-fat-gigi-hadid/
Gigi is one of the most successful models in the industry right now.

Cara Delevinge has an unconventional body for runway modelling, she's relatively short, yet she made it because she has an interesting and iconic face, it's not to my tastes, but she looks quite artistic. The point I'm making is that unconventional body types clearly do do well and if you're able to redefine the industry in some way you will make, even if you're not a perfect cookie-cutter cut out.

The reason why the girl in the video has to prostitute herself to the industry and jump through whatever hoop they have set her, is precisely because she's not offering anything unique, if you're gonna be a cookie-cut out, you will have to be the most perfect cookie-cut out, the issue isn't even her weight, not really.
Original post by the bear
you look stunning in the video ! *

lol That's not me. That's Agnes(Swedish model)
Disagree.

Bring back rationing!

I joke of course but on a semi serious note, the BBC's Horizon program discovered that life expectancy actually increased during the Great Depression where people ate less calories.
Reply 32
has anyone actually said that though? i ain't ever heard one person call a fat woman posing naked 'empowering'. look at that tess holliday woman, she gets loads of hate.
Please don't refer to slim women as skinny twigs. Don't put down women like me just because we are healthy and not succumbing to obesity and laziness. :thumbsup:

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I didn't intend to refer to healthy women who try hard to get to where they are, I was off-handedly referring to the stereotypical idea of models with eating disorders and the like. My apologies.
Reply 34
Original post by Iridocyclitis
It's empowering because plus size girls are subject to oppressive social structures, so for them to be naked in the face of these oppressive social structures is empowering.

It's empowering for them to do something which for other women is apparently degrading?

Quick Reply

Latest