I need advice

    • Thread Starter

    Hello, TSR.

    I'm a 2nd year BTEC student studying the Engineering L3 BTEC engineering course.
    Last year I achieved 7 Distinctions and 1 Merit, this year we have been sorted into groups, I was placed in a group that wouldn't be taking AS maths or the Extended project. So basically I wasn't doing the "extended" part of the course. I'm now really upset about this decision that the college has made. I really want to go to university and do Civil Engineering but now it seems I can't do that as my BTEC course is only equivalent to 3 A Levels
    Please guys give me advice on what I can do to be able to study Civil Engineering at university.


    Is there any way you can do the extended part of the qualification privately? Maybe appeal the college's decision and explain your situation?
    • Thread Starter

    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Is there any way you can do the extended part of the qualification privately? Maybe appeal the college's decision and explain your situation?
    No, I tried to speak with some of the administrators of the course and they refused to allow me to take the extended part.
Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Electronic notes or handwritten notes?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.