The Student Room Group

Highway Code - Can't find answers to some of my questions there

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Dunno123
I am not, because I am discussing a situation where both of the cars arrive to the roundabout at the same time and therefore are at the same position towards each other. My instructor referred to a situation where one enters the roundabout first, which is clear to me as I know that the traffic already on the roundabout has priority. But I disagree that this is the only priority, because if this was, then there would be no priority on mini-roundabouts (it's often impossible to say, let alone prove, who entered it first) and people would just take turns going through...

When driving, you simply cannot do everything to the letter of the code; common sense needs to be applied. Should you encounter a mini roundabout where you and a car coming from the opposite direction both meet, the standard procedure is the car indicating to turn left or right has priority. Let's break this down into three possible scenarios:-

A) Two cars meet; one car wishes to go straight on, the other wises to turn right, across the path of the oncoming vehicle - in this instance, the car not going directly straight on would have assumed priority.

B) Two cars meet; both cars wish to turn right (into each others way) - in this instance, common sense must be applied, and one vehicle must choose to go first.

C) Two cars meet; both cars wish to go straight on - in this instance, there's no problem; both vehicles can continue straight on.

Does this clear things up for you, or have I completely misread your query?
Reply 21
Original post by IWMTom
When driving, you simply cannot do everything to the letter of the code; common sense needs to be applied. Should you encounter a mini roundabout where you and a car coming from the opposite direction both meet, the standard procedure is the car indicating to turn left or right has priority. Let's break this down into three possible scenarios:-

A) Two cars meet; one car wishes to go straight on, the other wises to turn right, across the path of the oncoming vehicle - in this instance, the car not going directly straight on would have assumed priority.

B) Two cars meet; both cars wish to turn right (into each others way) - in this instance, common sense must be applied, and one vehicle must choose to go first.

C) Two cars meet; both cars wish to go straight on - in this instance, there's no problem; both vehicles can continue straight on.

Does this clear things up for you, or have I completely misread your query?

The problem with A) is that Highway Code doesn't say anything like that, so I believe it would be dangerous to assume priority in this case. I am in this situation on a daily basis and it doesn't seem to me that there's a standard procedure, the outcome is always different, sometimes the one going straight gives way to the one turning right, sometimes it's the other way around, sometimes they go carefully at the same time, sometimes they just stop and wait there forever... :smile:
Reply 22
The problem with A) is that Highway Code doesn't say anything like that, so I believe it would be dangerous to assume priority in this case. I am in this situation on a daily basis and it doesn't seem to me that there's a standard procedure, the outcome is always different, sometimes the one going straight gives way to the one turning right, sometimes it's the other way around, sometimes they go carefully at the same time, sometimes they just stop and wait there forever... :smile:

Like I said, driving requires common sense, and you can't find all your answers in the highway code. You really need to make decisions for yourself. It's a well established understanding between drivers that scenario A should go as I said, but when it doesn't, the driver is just an ass. In theory, you are traffic from the right, therefore they must stop. I suppose that's where it'd be classified in the highway code.

Don't worry about little things like this, just drive safely - you have your brakes for a reason!
Reply 23
I always thought "approaching from your right" meant approaching from the exit that's the first on your right (or traffic already on the roundabout).

For example, if you have a look at this picture (http://oi64.tinypic.com/ip0185.jpg) and apply your logic there (closer to your right hand door = approaching from the right), then the blue car would have to give way to the red car.

In this diagram, the green car is closer than the red car, so the green car needs watching. It's also evident that the red car is highly likely to turn left, so won't conflict with the blue car or pass in front of its bonnet, so although you would take notice of the red car, I wouldn't hang around all day for it.

Remember in my original post that you quoted, I said that one "must start exercising judgement" where a vehicle is closer to your right-hand door. I wasn't implying that you'd have to stop and wait every time. Vehicles can and do turn in different directions that don't necessarily conflict with your intended path.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending