Advice for new student

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016
Admissions Testing Service Exams Discussion Rules - Please read before posting! 02-11-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hey, People!!! Im writing a blog for older student such as my self on how to survive going back to education.Firstly think about what career you would like to go into.This may seem like an easy thing to do to others as we are older students.However this can be trial and error as before and during the course you may change your mind.There are some things you cannot learn about a career without experience.The only advice I'd give here is imagine yourself happy.What do you have financial and emotional, for instance when I see myself happy I see myself wearing a suit for work earning quite a large income and providing for my children.However i see myself spending time with my children and family and friends.What is important to you, it might sound crazy but is money important to you or do you just want an average income do you want to help people i.e care job.Consider the jobs enviroment, income,hours you are likely to work.The pressure the job will put you under can you handle taking work issues home.Although i was unsure of my exact route(due to the fact i only imagined myself in a suit.I was able to use this as a stepping stone in order to find a career that suited me.The fact i wanted to be in proffesional enviroment with a large income narrowed my path down to careers such as managerial roles, business owner solicitor etc.I then rearched jobs taking into consideration the points stated above such as environment income hours and job pressure. Once you have made a decision get organised many courses are like a full time job especially if you have children and other commitments such as work.Get a planner note book plastic wallets pens calender highlighters.Make sure you have a printer computer or prepare to spend alot of time at the library.Organise your home bills routine with dedicated free time,time for your children if applicable.Research courses and the entry requirments.If you are currently on a low income research finance out there is alot of help.If you are entitled to some help with tuition fees,childcare etc this may come in lump sum payments make sure you organise this income too as money worries can cause stress and you need a clear head to be able to acheive your best on a course.Once you are prepared for education and you are enroled on the course your timetable is through.Keep on top of assignments and reading even if the work is not graded getting feed back is important in order for you to improve along the way and if you get behind it can become very difficult to catch up .Preperation is the key to acheiving in education or in life if you have presentations and are worried about your confidence being prepared and knowing your subject helps alot.Do the work on site at the college or university if you can so you can come home with everything in order most importantly do work when it is set.Take advice and use the resources the university or college has to offer and finally do your best and remember anything worth having is not easy. I would love to here other peoples advice and experiences.

ReputationRep:
    Although I agree with you about the importance of thinking about what you are aiming for and why, at the same time it's helpful to keep an open mind about what opportunities might come your way. So often in career paths it's chance that makes the difference, rather than detailed planning.

Certainly, taking up degree level study later in life can be challenging, but the big advantage is that there are several different models out there, including part-time study which can be a better option financially as well as practically. If you are hoping to move into a new field it can be a bit risky to jack in the job you have to take time out to study for a degree. Yes, it is true that the uni experience is quite different if you are studying part-time but it's not necessarily worse!

It is also true that those who have worked for some time before becoming students have other skills which the 18 year olds often haven't, such as time management and the ability to multi-task, and they need to give themselves more credit for that.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 27, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.