The Peregrination of a Procrastinating Perfectionist

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hello TSR members!

I decided a great way to keep my motivation up, like many members of The Student Room, is to write a blog about my experience.

Overview
    I'm in Year 12, having just gone into Sixth Form.

GCSEs
    • Drama
    • Geography
    • Business Studies
    • Mathematics
    • Further Mathematics
    • English Language
    • English Literature
    • Religious Studies
    • Computing
    • Biology
    • Chemistry
    • Physics
    • French
    My grades aren't impressive by TSR standards, so I'll leave those out. I did, however, pass all the GCSEs I took. As a side note, I'll add:
    • Level 3 Algebra
    as I took that and passed it also.

A-Levels
    • Biology
    • Chemistry
    • Mathematics
    These are the subjects I am taking this year. I am also taking EPQ.

Future Plans
    Ideally, I would love to go to university, hopefully at Cambridge or Edinburgh, to study Veterinary Medicine. I have applied to the mailing list for the open days for both of these places. I have also applied to the summer school for RVC.

I'm not sure if there's anything else you'd like to know, but feel free to ask. I'll be updating this as I go along.

Thank you all!

Entries
    Entry 1
    Entry 2
    Entry 2.5

Replies
    Year 11 Retake
    A-Level Exam Boards
    Economics/Business Studies

ReputationRep:
    I am a huge failure in life I am now enduring year 11 retake with 6 GCSEs and I am ashamed to be around my flourishing friends. As I feel lower than everyone that I hang around with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jay.Wright)
    I am a huge failure in life I am now enduring year 11 retake with 6 GCSEs and I am ashamed to be around my flourishing friends. As I feel lower than everyone that I hang around with.
    Hey, I know you might feel like you're 'a huge failure', but how do your friends view you? You might feel disappointed in yourself now, but after retaking you might have a different approach to the whole situation. I'm sure everything will either fit into place or you'll find a way around it in the end. Depending on the circumstances, you'll probably find an appropriate solution that suits you. I must stress that I'm sure your friends do not view you as any lower than themselves if they are truthfully your friends.
    Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Entry #1
    Two weeks into sixth form and I have had one cycle of my timetable. I'm not sure how much you'd like to hear, but here is a grading sheet for my teachers so far. I will label the ones I've never had before with square brackets such as this: [Teacher].

Maths Teachers
    • Teacher 1: A* - Enthusiastic yet not so annoying. Understands that some people need pushing, but doesn't understand that there are those that need pushing at different levels. Teaching Core 1.
    • [Teacher 2]: A* - Incredibly enthusiastic, and seems to genuinely enjoy the subject. Can be quite distracting as enjoys singing/dancing but I suppose that just shows that they aren't boring. Teaching Decision 1.
    • [Teacher 3]: A - Sets appropriate work, but does not give any help following this. Expects everything to be known immediately, without practice.
    Biology Teachers
    Perhaps a little biased by the fact I absolutely love biology, but:
    • Teacher 1: A* - Very good at describing and teaching, though extremely strict when it comes to homework. Moves quickly through work, but it is a manageable pace (even though that means a lot of outside work).
    • [Teacher 2]: A* - Seems to love what they do. Already has taught very interesting lessons, not just textbook work.
    Chemistry Teachers
    Again, maybe a little biased:
    • Teacher 1: A* - Can move quite quickly in lessons, and encourages movement in class (I have a lot of stuff to move as I bring in everything necessary for the subject).
    • [Teacher 2]: A* - Very down-to-earth, friendly and also seemingly very educated on their subject. Whilst we are learning difficult stuff, is not unwilling to slow down to teach it to us.

All in all, I must say that I am very pleased with my teachers this year. I plan on doing this grading regularly, perhaps half-termly.

I am a huge fan of biology and have an interest in animals. I volunteered at a farm working with horses for nearly two years and have had work experience at a local veterinary practice. The work experience wasn't anything too hands-on, mainly cleaning and watching consultations, though I did help save some birds that had been hit by cars, watched some castrations and spays, and watched an ultrasound on a fat guinea pig. The volunteering with horses was very interactive and involved waking up early in the morning to bring them in from the field every Saturday, along with cleaning them and the area, assisting in riding lessons and cleaning their tack and feeding them. It was incredibly physically demanding, and looking back I think it was somewhat ridiculous that none of us were paid for the work we did.

Of course, if there's anything else you'd like to know, feel free to ask me.

Thank you all for reading!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LogicalFallacy)
    Entry #1
    Two weeks into sixth form and I have had one cycle of my timetable. I'm not sure how much you'd like to hear, but here is a grading sheet for my teachers so far. I will label the ones I've never had before with square brackets such as this: [Teacher].

Maths Teachers
    • Teacher 1: A* - Enthusiastic yet not so annoying. Understands that some people need pushing, but doesn't understand that there are those that need pushing at different levels. Teaching Core 1.
    • [Teacher 2]: A* - Incredibly enthusiastic, and seems to genuinely enjoy the subject. Can be quite distracting as enjoys singing/dancing but I suppose that just shows that they aren't boring. Teaching Decision 1.
    • [Teacher 3]: A - Sets appropriate work, but does not give any help following this. Expects everything to be known immediately, without practice.
    Biology Teachers
    Perhaps a little biased by the fact I absolutely love biology, but:
    • Teacher 1: A* - Very good at describing and teaching, though extremely strict when it comes to homework. Moves quickly through work, but it is a manageable pace (even though that means a lot of outside work).
    • [Teacher 2]: A* - Seems to love what they do. Already has taught very interesting lessons, not just textbook work.
    Chemistry Teachers
    Again, maybe a little biased:
    • Teacher 1: A* - Can move quite quickly in lessons, and encourages movement in class (I have a lot of stuff to move as I bring in everything necessary for the subject).
    • [Teacher 2]: A* - Very down-to-earth, friendly and also seemingly very educated on their subject. Whilst we are learning difficult stuff, is not unwilling to slow down to teach it to us.
    All in all, I must say that I am very pleased with my teachers this year. I plan on doing this grading regularly, perhaps half-termly.

I am a huge fan of biology and have an interest in animals. I volunteered at a farm working with horses for nearly two years and have had work experience at a local veterinary practice. The work experience wasn't anything too hands-on, mainly cleaning and watching consultations, though I did help save some birds that had been hit by cars, watched some castrations and spays, and watched an ultrasound on a fat guinea pig. The volunteering with horses was very interactive and involved waking up early in the morning to bring them in from the field every Saturday, along with cleaning them and the area, assisting in riding lessons and cleaning their tack and feeding them. It was incredibly physically demanding, and looking back I think it was somewhat ridiculous that none of us were paid for the work we did.

Of course, if there's anything else you'd like to know, feel free to ask me.

Thank you all for reading!
    What board are you doing for chem,bio and maths ? Also how are you finding them ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nisha.sri)
    What board are you doing for chem,bio and maths ? Also how are you finding them ?
    I'm doing OCR for all three. I'm finding maths rather easy, but that might be because I took further maths at GCSE level, so most of Core 1 is just building on that. Decision is a nice change, but relatively easy as well, so far. Biology, again, seems to be an extension right now, though this doesn't make it any less enjoyable. Chemistry, however, has been a serious mix. Teacher 1 has been teaching more of the same, but Teacher 2 introduced a whole new topic to understand, which, I must admit, I am struggling to grasp. I'm sure I will get the hang of it.

How about yourself? What exam boards have you got, and what subjects are you doing (Presuming you're doing A-Levels)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LogicalFallacy)
    I'm doing OCR for all three. I'm finding maths rather easy, but that might be because I took further maths at GCSE level, so most of Core 1 is just building on that. Decision is a nice change, but relatively easy as well, so far. Biology, again, seems to be an extension right now, though this doesn't make it any less enjoyable. Chemistry, however, has been a serious mix. Teacher 1 has been teaching more of the same, but Teacher 2 introduced a whole new topic to understand, which, I must admit, I am struggling to grasp. I'm sure I will get the hang of it.

How about yourself? What exam boards have you got, and what subjects are you doing (Presuming you're doing A-Levels)?
    Ah i see I do OCR for Bio and chem and maths Edexcel I'm finding them all ok at the moment i also do Economics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nisha.sri)
    Ah i see I do OCR for Bio and chem and maths Edexcel I'm finding them all ok at the moment i also do Economics
    That's good to hear! I did Business Studies at GCSE and despised it with a passion, so definitely no Economics for me. It all sounds very fun though! I hope you're enjoying Economics, too.

EDIT: I don't know if Business Studies and Economics are all that similar, but I'm certainly not taking any chances.

ReputationRep:
    Entry #2
    Now that I'm into my fourth week of sixth form, I was expecting things to get a little easier. Let me give you a brief summary of things.

Homework
    I will rate the level of homework that I have been given for my three options on a scale of one to ten regarding amount and then one to ten regarding difficulty.
    • Biology - Amount: 8, Difficulty: 9 - A lot of the homework we haven't been given very detailed instructions for. I really like to know exactly what to do, though I do understand this is not always possible, unfortunately.
    • Chemistry - Amount 3, Difficulty: 7 - One teacher gives a lot of rather difficult homework, the other hasn't given any yet. The problem is that I don't know if I am doing the homework correctly.
    • Mathematics - Amount 9, Difficulty 7 - Each of the three teachers gives one piece of homework each lesson, though some of it is reasonably easy.
    This day has certainly not started off well. I got pooped on by some idiot of a bird when I was getting my folders out of the car, so I had to go home again for my second shower of the day. Supposedly, this is good luck - however, in form I am told that I didn't get the position of vice-house captain and instead get offered a place as some school-relations committee member for year 12. If you don't understand the difference, it's somewhat like getting a chance at going to the Olympics for free and instead being taken to a primary school sports day. The position would involve organising those horrific discos that everybody hated in year 7. In other words, I am most certainly not taking that opportunity.

In addition to this, I seem to be finding stuff difficult that everyone else finds easy i.e. VSEPR Theory in Chemistry. I can only hope it gets easier from here with persistence.

ReputationRep:
    Entry #2.5
    For those of you interested, I have decided not to take the position on the school-relations committee and I am instead going to see the teacher in charge of the vice-house captain situation (rather than one of his students sent to tell me) and ask why I didn't get the position or try to reapply if it has been a mistake.

As far as the 'good luck' is concerned, it only got worse. I spilt something down my newly dry-cleaned trousers (despite caution) and had an introductory session with my parents to the school sixth form, alongside other minor inconveniences.

Revision Notes
    • If there are any aspects of chemistry that you are struggling to understand, see if you can use a molymod kit, perhaps even ordering your own to use. This is how I managed to fully understand molecular geometries. If you don't have one to hand, a possible substitute is Plasticine and toothpicks. However, I am sure that your subject teacher will have a kit lying around for you to borrow if need be.
    • Decision Maths is very easy if you lay out what you are doing before you. For example, try and draw the graph network out yourself, or set up the bubble sort to complete. This is likely to help you wrap your head around what is being done.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 27, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.