Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

eeek....head lice!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    You only put on some lotion for a night and then any that wre there are dead. Do the treatement and put some no hairbrushes etc. Clean pillows etc

The lotion is supposed to kill them if you've got them, but sadly, it doesn't always work, as nit have developed a resistance to it. If you comb conditioner through your hair, it won't kill them, but it will make your hair slippery and they'll come off onto the comb. That way you can at least tell if you've got them. But get tea-tree shampoo. If you smell of that, then even if you do come into contact with nits, they'll think twice! It's like vampires and garlic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airport Fairy)
    The lotion is supposed to kill them if you've got them, but sadly, it doesn't always work, as nit have developed a resistance to it. If you comb conditioner through your hair, it won't kill them, but it will make your hair slippery and they'll come off onto the comb. That way you can at least tell if you've got them. But get tea-tree shampoo. If you smell of that, then even if you do come into contact with nits, they'll think twice! It's like vampires and garlic.
    ok, thanks i will do. so many people deserve rep tonight *shakes fist at 24 hour rule*

ReputationRep:
    oh, and put some rosemary into a cup and add boiling water then leave while you wash your hair until its cooled a bit then poar it on your hair and leave in, you do smell of rosemary but it kills rosemary

ReputationRep:
    I didn't think you were supposed to use the lotion/mousse/whatever you've got unless you've seen live lice on your head? But I suppose beens as your sister has lice it's better to be safe than sorry, however don't keep using it. Just make sure your sister's head is checked regularly to make sure they've gone. And yeah, nit comb over a white piece of paper, maybe put conditioner on your hair first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Emmz-)
    I didn't think you were supposed to use the lotion/mousse/whatever you've got unless you've seen live lice on your head? But I suppose beens as your sister has lice it's better to be safe than sorry, however don't keep using it. Just make sure your sister's head is checked regularly to make sure they've gone. And yeah, nit comb over a white piece of paper, maybe put conditioner on your hair first.
    :eek: but my hair is already lotioned!!! my poor poor hair!

ReputationRep:
    rosemary will work and a nit comb - they've been used since vicking times and in the museum I work out there were some in greek artixes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by historyhoney)
    rosemary will work and a nit comb - they've been used since vicking times and in the museum I work out there were some in greek artixes!
    thanks so much!!! *shakes fist at 24 hour rule* so many people need rep tonight

ReputationRep:
    hehem thats okay, at the moment I have like no rep, oh well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neha p)
    :eek: but my hair is already lotioned!!! my poor poor hair!
    It'll be okay. I know you're not supposed to sell people the lotion unless they've seen live lice but since your sister did have them then I think it's okay you got treated too. You just shouldn't use it again unless you actually see lice in your hair cause people over using the lotions is how the lice build up resistance.

ReputationRep:
    what happens if you never get rid of your lice...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThornsnRoses)
    what happens if you never get rid of your lice...
    lol dont try to scare her now, you should have seen her last hair disaster. twas a state of emergency.

this would actually kill her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    lol dont try to scare her now, you should have seen her last hair disaster. twas a state of emergency.

this would actually kill her.
    the hair cut...neha you didnt show me!

might be a stupid point but make sure you are using a very fine-toothed nit comb not just a regular comb.

ReputationRep:
    erk. at least theres lots of good anti lice chemicals out there

(Original post by McGeadie)
    erk. at least theres lots of good anti lice chemicals out there
    theyre often not what you ideally want getting into your body through your scalp, however

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    theyre often not what you ideally want getting into your body through your scalp, however
    nup, but u must put up with it because lice are worse.

you can do stuff like wetcombing as someone else talked about - combing through with loads of shampoo etc. this does work as long as you keep doing it until they are all gone.

ReputationRep:

why don't you try befriending them. You can give them names like cedric and bernard and cornelius.

MB

ReputationRep:
    Get some medicated shampoo from your doctor and make sure you follow the instructions, put on a generous amount on your entire family's hair, especially near the scalp. Leave it on!!

It happened to my little brother before. Oh yeh, do that to your hairbrushes too. It should work.. if you want to be doubly sure, go through her hair with a fine tooth comb and check for any nit eggs (transparent whitish tiny shells) near the scalp. I found some in my brother's hair before.. they were so icky.

Eeewe I'm getting goosebumps now.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.