Boyfriend doesn't seem to make much effort anymore...

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

Anon because we have mutual friends on here.

My boyfriend and I have been going out for 2 years now and everything is going really well - he is one of the most thoughtful, caring people I know. The only thing is that I've noticed hes stopped trying when we chat. When we see someone else we know in the street, he's always really polite to them asking questions, making jokes and keeping the conversation flowing.

However, with me he doesn't seem to put in the same effort like he did before. If I phone him up, he asks me how today is going, I answer and ask how he is and he just says fine. Then silence. So I ask him another question and again I'll get a short answer, followed by silence. So in a bid to keep the conversation going, I start talking about myself and tell him something thats either amusing (or I think it is anyway) or thats happening in my life, and then wait for him to say something - either ask a question, make a comment or just say something. He doesn't... so I just carry on talking about myself. ANd then the "conversation" will continue until I run out of things to say or he/I have to go.

I think the point of irritation for me is due to the contrast between the way he treats other people compared to me. I'm pretty sure our relationship is solid (he described something a week again when he was talking to someone else and he said to this other people that our relationship was solid), so why is he doing this? AM I being unfair? He has a tiring job but hes also like this on his days off.

bump

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you don't have enough in common.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he doesn't feel like he needs to be talkative all the time since you've been together for so long. Its kinda different when you run into a friends you haven't seen in a while. I mean if he stops wanting to see you all together or doesn't contact you ever then I'd say it's a cause for concern. Have you spoken to him about this? Not sure if you mentioned that in your post or not, but tbh that's the only way you're going to know the answer.

(Original post by Donkey******)
    Sounds like you don't have enough in common.
    Personally I think we've got just the right amount in common and get the right amount thats different (buts thats just my opinion). He just doesn't seem very talkative with me anymore...

(Original post by phunky_fresh)
    Maybe he doesn't feel like he needs to be talkative all the time since you've been together for so long. Its kinda different when you run into a friends you haven't seen in a while. I mean if he stops wanting to see you all together or doesn't contact you ever then I'd say it's a cause for concern. Have you spoken to him about this? Not sure if you mentioned that in your post or not, but tbh that's the only way you're going to know the answer.
    He works in the service industry so sometimes it will be a client who we see in the street. Thats true... we still text everyday and meet up 3/4 times a week. I haven't spoken to him for the very reason that I suffer with very bad anxiety and (potentially) minor depression, which I think clouds my judgement. So I tend to talk to friends or post on here before talk to him because I don't want him to feel like I'm constantly having a go at him (so I tend to only bring things up a few days after the instance or not at all :P). The last couple of times this has happened he has sent me messages apologising and just saying that he is tired or he has to get something done.... it just seems like there is always an excuse (which combined with my anxiety) makes me nervous.

Tbh as I talk more about it I feel more silly and like its my anxiety... which explains exactly why I posted it on here rather than talk to him :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Personally I think we've got just the right amount in common and get the right amount thats different (buts thats just my opinion). He just doesn't seem very talkative with me anymore...

He works in the service industry so sometimes it will be a client who we see in the street. Thats true... we still text everyday and meet up 3/4 times a week. I haven't spoken to him for the very reason that I suffer with very bad anxiety and (potentially) minor depression, which I think clouds my judgement. So I tend to talk to friends or post on here before talk to him because I don't want him to feel like I'm constantly having a go at him (so I tend to only bring things up a few days after the instance or not at all :P). The last couple of times this has happened he has sent me messages apologising and just saying that he is tired or he has to get something done.... it just seems like there is always an excuse (which combined with my anxiety) makes me nervous.

Tbh as I talk more about it I feel more silly and like its my anxiety... which explains exactly why I posted it on here rather than talk to him :P
    You don't even live together, and you can't find anything to talk about? Wow, either he's found someone else, or you don't have enough in common so have nothing to talk about.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.