The Student Room Group

Can I do only 2 a-levels?

Hi, for my 6th Form subjects I chose Core Maths, Computer Science and BTEC Science but I ended up having to drop Core Maths to resit because I got a D in GCSE despite the fact I was told the minimum grade to do Core Maths was a D. 😕😠 Anyway, so now I am doing Computer Science which is a 1 year course I think, correct me if im wrong) and BTEC science which I believe is a 2 year course. I was offered to do Product Design but I don't think I want to do that after the teacher expects me to do summer work on a subject I barely know and I was also offered to do Media which doesn't really interest me. Is it possible that I just do BTEC science and Computer Science this year and just BTEC next year because surely after all this is my education therefore my choice. :/ I don't think the school would agree though. Something else I was thinking of doing was if I pass my resit of Maths this november maybe I can rejoin the Core Maths course and do that. I am really confused atm so I dont know what to do. Any comment is appreciated. :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Nuggetzor2000
Hi, for my 6th Form subjects I chose Core Maths, Computer Science and BTEC Science but I ended up having to drop Core Maths to resit because I got a D in GCSE despite the fact I was told the minimum grade to do Core Maths was a D. 😕😠 Anyway, so now I am doing Computer Science which is a 1 year course I think, correct me if im wrong) and BTEC science which I believe is a 2 year course. I was offered to do Product Design but I don't think I want to do that after the teacher expects me to do summer work on a subject I barely know and I was also offered to do Media which doesn't really interest me. Is it possible that I just do BTEC science and Computer Science this year and just BTEC next year because surely after all this is my education therefore my choice. :/ I don't think the school would agree though. Something else I was thinking of doing was if I pass my resit of Maths this november maybe I can rejoin the Core Maths course and do that. I am really confused atm so I dont know what to do. Any comment is appreciated. :smile:

You really need to speak to the school. They will have minimum requirements, as if you're not taking enough subjects then you won't have enough contact hours to be classed as full time. That will affect the funding that the school receive for you.

I don't think that hoping to rejoin core maths is a viable plan. You would be missing the first few months, and this is important as it's the foundations of future work. You're already starting off badly as you only got a D and are therefore missing knowledge.

Quick Reply

Latest