Can I still get into A Russell Group university?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Can I still get into A Russell Group university with only one facilitating subject at A levels, I got 4A*s and 7As at GCSE and I have the capability of taking maths/biology but I'm scared it will be too hard and stressful so I was thinking of taking sociology, politics and history or instead of sociology biology which I won't need but its a fantasising subject so Russell Group universities likes that, but I want to go into something like political economy at Kings where I dont need specific subjects just 3As
    so I would like to ask,

1. Will A Russell group university care if I only did one fascinating subject (history) and the other 2 are softer but I still got 3 As, would they still take me for a degree which has no requirements?

2. Languages are facilitating subjects but does Russian count as being facilitating?

3. Is it better to do Biology, politics and history and get ABB or sociology, politics and history and get AAA?

Any feedback is appreciated

ReputationRep:
    If you get good grades and they're vaguely related to what you want to do it's not really that hard to get into a Russell Group uni. There are a lot of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by valdokarina)
    Can I still get into A Russell Group university with only one facilitating subject at A levels, I got 4A*s and 7As at GCSE and I have the capability of taking maths/biology but I'm scared it will be too hard and stressful so I was thinking of taking sociology, politics and history or instead of sociology biology which I won't need but its a fantasising subject so Russell Group universities likes that, but I want to go into something like political economy at Kings where I dont need specific subjects just 3As
    so I would like to ask,

1. Will A Russell group university care if I only did one fascinating subject (history) and the other 2 are softer but I still got 3 As, would they still take me for a degree which has no requirements?

2. Languages are facilitating subjects but does Russian count as being facilitating?

3. Is it better to do Biology, politics and history and get ABB or sociology, politics and history and get AAA?

0. facilitating
    1. your A-levels are fine for Politics and similar courses
    2. yes (although if it's your native language then that can make it less desirable at some universities).
    3. sociology, politics and history and get AAA

Facilitating doesn't mean "hard" - it just means commonly accepted by a range of different courses.

http://russellgroup.ac.uk/for-studen...l-and-college/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by valdokarina)
    so I would like to ask,

1. No they wouldn't care. I went to the University of Sheffield which is a redbrick Russell Group and they accepted my A-level in Critical Thinking as I failed my Biology A-level. Bear in mind that whilst these universities have the most prestige they are not necessarily the 'best' - Sheffield is average-to-good. Even Kings would be fine with this though.

2. Yes, any language is good. It's not just the relevance of the language which makes it well recognised but the skill involved in studying a language. Russian is relevant though so it's all good.

3. I'd say the second option is better as it's better grades and the subjects are a better match for each other. Unless you love Biology I'd go for the second option.

NB: Just my opinion!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    0. facilitating
    1. your A-levels are fine for Politics and similar courses
    2. yes (although if it's your native language then that can make it less desirable at some universities).
    3. sociology, politics and history and get AAA

Facilitating doesn't mean "hard" - it just means commonly accepted by a range of different courses.

http://russellgroup.ac.uk/for-studen...l-and-college/
    I see thank you and Luckily it's not my native language haha

ReputationRep:
    1.Most Russel group unis would prefer two facilitating subjects rather than one, but it should not undermine you much, if you've done work experience, possibly completed the EPQ, and did a lot of things outside of school - Just have a really good personal statement.

2. i think they prefer modern foreign languages such as French, German or Spanish not Russian, as these languages are learnt during GCSE as they are the most commonly spoken languages in the world after English

3. Definitely the second one, You have history which is a facilitating subject, politics which is associated with what you want to do as a degree, and sociology( which i personally took during AS, and it really opens your mind) which shows your understanding of society essay skills, and having all A's is way better then seeing ABB. And yes biology is a facilitating subject, but rather you would get an A in sociology then a B in Biology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hachkay)
    1.Most Russel group unis would prefer two facilitating subjects rather than one, but it should not undermine you much, if you've done work experience, possibly completed the EPQ, and did a lot of things outside of school - Just have a really good personal statement.

2. i think they prefer modern foreign languages such as French, German or Spanish not Russian, as these languages are learnt during GCSE as they are the most commonly spoken languages in the world after English
    1 the subjects are absolutely fine for the course and will not "undermine" OP at all.
    2 no.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=jneill;67657108]1 the subjects are absolutely fine for the course and will not "undermine" OP at all.
    2 no.

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE

Well excuse me, top uni definitely do prefer 2 facilitating subjects, because there seen as more difficult, probably your uni doesn't care, because it has less standards

What do you mean no? don't you know what explanation means? Russian is not a universal language.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Hachkay;67689790]
    (Original post by jneill)
    1 the subjects are absolutely fine for the course and will not "undermine" OP at all.
    2 no.

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE

Well excuse me, top uni definitely do prefer 2 facilitating subjects, because there seen as more difficult, probably your uni doesn't care, because it has less standards

What do you mean no? don't you know what explanation means? Russian is not a universal language.
    The subject choice is fine for HSPS at Cambridge, ditto for PAIS at Warwick. Are they top enough?

Russian is a perfectly acceptable Modern Language and therefore is a "facilitating subject" anyway.

List of facilitating subjects... you will note the inclusion of Russian:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...jects_2015.pdf

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.