Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Thoughts on laptops watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Do u think a laptop is worth the money and is helpful or can i live without one?

ReputationRep:
    I suppose they are handy to have, but all unis have pcs etc so I doubt itll be a problem not to have one. Depends on how good your unis pc facilities are I spose. Ive bought one, but thats mainly for my music so I dont have to bring hundreds of cds with me

ReputationRep:
    im going to uni in september and have bought (well my parents have), a cheap second hand laptop ( about 300-350, i think). it may not be brilliant (2 inch border to screen!) but i have been advised that it would be wise to have something to easily take home, if going home by train. Another suggestion is one of those memory stick things, i have no idea how expensive they are, but if uni has good computer facilities this may be all you really need.

ReputationRep:
    i second the CD point, if u get lots of memory on your computer, this is a very handy feature

ReputationRep:
    If I had one I would probably break it :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dinkymints)
    If I had one I would probably break it :rolleyes:
    hence why i got a VERY cheap one!! if i cracked the screen on a £1000 one, my parents would KILL ME!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clare_m)
    hence why i got a VERY cheap one!! if i cracked the screen on a £1000 one, my parents would KILL ME!!
    Not physically break it, but like corrupt it...

ReputationRep:
    why would u do that? as long as u have Norton Antivirus it protects u. ud have to be talented or v crap to completely kill a computer!!

ReputationRep:
    ud have to be talented or v crap to completely kill a computer!!
    I don't know whether I'm crap or talented but I got all the blame for killing the computer last summer. Apparantly I made the operating system dissapear but to this day I still don't know how, nor do the terrible technicians :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    OH DEAR!! do u remember substantially deleting things????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    I don't know whether I'm crap or talented but I got all the blame for killing the computer last summer. Apparantly I made the operating system dissapear but to this day I still don't know how, nor do the terrible technicians :rolleyes:
    yeah I have managed to kill a few. Maybe not completely but past functioning properly... multiple times!

ReputationRep:
    LOL a friend of mine stood on my laptop (I know it shouldn't have been on the floor) and cracked the screen. Luckily my insurance company paid for a new one.

I have used a laptop at uni, but a lot depends on your course, your uni's computing facillities and what you have at home.

If you have a PC at your parents and you are only transporting data then a memory stick / zip drive whatever will be enough. If you have no computer at home then a laptop is a good idea. Also some uni's have remote access where you can get at your files stored in uni from anywhere others don't.

Make sure it is insured though, I put mine on the household insurance and I asked them to ensure it outside my home and for accidental damage as well, my premium went up by about £2.00 per year which I have more than got back when the replaced it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)

Make sure it is insured though, I put mine on the household insurance and I asked them to ensure it outside my home and for accidental damage as well, my premium went up by about £2.00 per year which I have more than got back when the replaced it.
    Good thinking, thanks for that.

ReputationRep:
    A laptop is useful as you don't have to share computers in the library or computer lab (it's bad when lots of people have to do last minute stuff in their project etc...). You can work anywhere you want.

ReputationRep:
    OH DEAR!! do u remember substantially deleting things????
    No but I had Windows ME then, which had many problems itself...I don't remember doing anything, it was probably my older sister but because I'm the middle child I got the blame

I hate computers/lap tops/technology etc...

p.s: I don't really...

ReputationRep:
    Some uni's offer laptop schemes and you can buy them cheaper than computer shops. Sometimes the laptops are crap. Just a suggestion to get them at a reasonable price.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    No but I had Windows ME then, which had many problems itself...I don't remember doing anything, it was probably my older sister but because I'm the middle child I got the blame

I hate computers/lap tops/technology etc...

p.s: I don't really...
    Windows ME....the bane of my life....

ReputationRep:
    Oh, this might be useful...I read on newstudent.org that they are introducing a laptop scheme where you can hire one for £5 a week, or maybe it was £5 a day! I don't really remember....but when you finish hiring the laptop, it's yours to keep. I will try and find out some more details and post them as I know this will be useful to quite a few of you who can't afford to fork out for a new laptop....

ReputationRep:
    Not all uni's will offer laptop schemes.

ReputationRep:
    I think that having a laptop was pretty close to essential for my time at college.

The ability to work anywhere - the library, dining hall, dorms, classrooms and so on - was invaluable, especially when I didn't feel like going to a school computer lab.

And the thing is, you don't have to spend all that much on one. MS Word, an e-mail app and a browser will account for the vast majority of your computer time. A laptop that runs these efficiently can be had for a small outlay. Ebay is your friend! I got one (that did me for all but my last semester) for $400 - about 220 ukp give or take.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.