The Student Room Group

Universities that accept low grades

Hello,

I'm 28 and just finished studying A levels as a private candidate. I got one good grade and two very bad ones. I began A levels with the intention of studying modern Italian literature in Italy, and that intention remains. The requirements for universities there are: 3 passes at GCSE, and 3 passes at A level (A level subjects must be relevant to the university course).

I am curious to know whether, with my B in Italian, E in English literature and E in History, I would actually be able to get into at least one university in the UK or not. I've always been convinced that in this country you need As and Bs, otherwise there's no hope for you; however, whilst looking at some posts on this site, I've come across people who have gotten into universities with low grades.

I studied very hard, with constancy, and took my A levels very seriously. However, I wasn't organised well enough, and so, I didn't start exam practice early enough. I really didn't master the skill of telling the examiner the right things in order to tick off the assessment objectives. To compensate though, I did know a lot of stuff before going into the exam and my mind has made huge leaps in the last few years. Thus, the exam results don't necessarily mean that I'm not very "academic". It's just I wasn't good enough at being both a student AND a teacher (the latter would've organised the course in a way so as to begin exam practice very early).

Do you know some universities that accept low grades? It doesn't matter whether the degree you come out with would be considered a "joke degree" (as they call it on here). I would just like to know some names of universities that would be happy with an application like mine.

I could back it up with 10 GCSEs (8 A's and 2 B's); a BTEC National Diploma with three distinctions (3 A's) in Photography; one year of life and work experience in Italy; five very good references from teachers who know well my current ability in both literature and Italian; native equivalent level in Italian (learnt on my own, not at a school).

Do you think at least one university would accept an application like mine? There must be some that accept the students just for their money ahahah. Please list as many as you can think of!
I too would love to study modern Italian literature :heart:

Quick Reply

Latest