Does applying to an oversubscribed college limit your chances of success?

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying to Brasenose for Classics I for entry next year. However I am aware that Brasenose is an extremely popular college - would it disadvantage me applying here? Or would it really make no difference as if I am Oxford standard I should surely get pooled anyway?

I'm quite confused & stressed about what to do so if anyone could help it would be great!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gracelizabethx)
    if I am Oxford standard I should surely get pooled anyway?
    This :yep: Getting pooled is no guarantee of an eventual offer but if you are considered Oxford standard/worthy of a place, they will try and find you one somewhere. Plus sometimes the most popular colleges have more sway with pooling candidates (or at least that's the impression I got from my tutor, regarding the music applicants' pool)

If you like Brasenose, then go for it. Don't let the competition throw you! :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gracelizabethx)
    I'm applying to Brasenose for Classics I for entry next year. However I am aware that Brasenose is an extremely popular college - would it disadvantage me applying here? Or would it really make no difference as if I am Oxford standard I should surely get pooled anyway?

I'm quite confused & stressed about what to do so if anyone could help it would be great!!!
    I would agree with TLG, applying to a popular college makes you less likely to get an offer at that college but your chances of getting an offer overall shouldn't be affected

ReputationRep:
    You can see overall admissions stats by college here. There's probably some extremely loose trend line to be drawn through the numbers but you can see that colleges with lots of applications are spread pretty well throughout the overall success rate, with Brasenose sitting somewhere in the middle over recent years.

MexicanKeith is right that applying to Brasenose means you're more likely to be pooled to another college – in fact, most successful Brasenose applicants last year didn't end up at Brasenose. That's really the biggest argument against applying to an oversubscribed college, i.e. that you're reducing how likely it is that you'll really get to choose your college. For a particular college/course combination, the numbers change so much every year any way that there's very little playing-the-system that you could try to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    You can see overall admissions stats by college here. There's probably some extremely loose trend line to be drawn through the numbers but you can see that colleges with lots of applications are spread pretty well throughout the overall success rate, with Brasenose sitting somewhere in the middle over recent years.

MexicanKeith is right that applying to Brasenose means you're more likely to be pooled to another college – in fact, most successful Brasenose applicants last year didn't end up at Brasenose. That's really the biggest argument against applying to an oversubscribed college, i.e. that you're reducing how likely it is that you'll really get to choose your college. For a particular college/course combination, the numbers change so much every year any way that there's very little playing-the-system that you could try to do.
    We received 19 applications for Classics sole last year and 7 candidates achieved places, 3 with us and 4 at other colleges.

Across the whole University, there were 225 applications and a total of 92 offers were made.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.