Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help with this mechanics question? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm really stuck on 3d, can anyone help? The answer to b is (24U^2)/g and the answer to c is 5U but I can't get the answer to d for some reason. (Sorry for attaching a picture twice but I did it from my phone and idk how to get rid it)
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    The horizontal velocity is fixed so you can work out what the vertical velocity had to be too make the magnitude of the velocity that.

Then you know the starting vertical velocity and the vertical acceleration, so you can work out at what time the velocity equals this target value.

Does that approach make sense? The key is splitting it into horizontal and vertical components of motion.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by selenacxoxo)
    I'm really stuck on 3d, can anyone help? The answer to b is (24U^2)/g and the answer to c is 5U but I can't get the answer to d for some reason. (Sorry for attaching a picture twice but I did it from my phone and idk how to get rid it)
    v_x=3U

v_y=4U-gt

therefore V^2=(v_x)^2+(v_y)^2

\Rightarrow (U\sqrt{18})^2=(3U)^2+(4U-gt)^2

Get a quadratic in t and U and complete the square on t

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.