Should I apply to Oxford or Cambridge for Maths? What a mess.

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Okay here's the situation. I love Cambridge, I went there on an outreach residential, thought the place was amazing, I could see myself studying there etc. You get the idea. Oxford I don't know as much about but trust it's an equally brilliant place.
    Deciding on where to apply is made tricky by my exams results:
    GCSEs: 9A*s, 2A's
    AS Levels: 5A's in Maths, F.Maths, Physics, Chem and Russian
    C1: 100
    C2: 87
    S1: 97
    FP1: 94
    D1: 66
    D2: 85
    Now I have this little problem of being dyslexic and most importantly dyspraxic, meaning I take a slight forever doing exams - extra time helps but still doesn't cut it. I didn't finish any of my GCSE exams with time to spare and the same applies to most of my AS exams. As you can see, D1 was the worst for it as well as C2 and D2 to an extent (I will be resitting them next summer). The nature of Decision modules hits hard because of all the lengthy systematic steps.
    An important question is how seriously my problem with time will be considered. Ideally I'd like admissions to see that I have potential by looking at my better UMS scores and appreciating the fact that I do struggle with time limitations.

I'll mention a few things in case they are somewhat important for this:
    I like the though of doing STEP and self taught core 3 and 4 over the summer so that I have a head start. My school's AS results have been awful this year, we dropped from last year by 10% such that only 37% of grades were A's and B's. At GCSE I had the best results in my year and have done the same at AS - best mark in the class for each of my AS subjects. Geographically I'm in a nice area so no extra low background points there and my school has sent students to Oxford and Cambridge before - not too many and nobody to do maths, at least as far as I'm aware. UKMT maths challenges aren't taken seriously so I haven't got them to back me up but I hear the universities are aware of the differences within schools hence it shouldn't affect me.

I would like to go to Cambridge - the aim is to get the offer and work from there. However, If the odds are against me and it seems a lot more likely that I would get an offer from Oxford, then I would prefer to apply to Oxford instead. I don't mind the idea of doing 3 years at Oxford then doing part 3 at Cambridge, if I still desire to do so in the future.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback, thoughts, insights etc, and to know what you would do in my position.

Much love xox

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReputableChav)
    I would like to go to Cambridge - the aim is to get the offer and work from there. However, If the odds are against me and it seems a lot more likely that I would get an offer from Oxford, then I would prefer to apply to Oxford instead. I don't mind the idea of doing 3 years at Oxford then doing part 3 at Cambridge, if I still desire to do so in the future.
    As I expect you're aware, the mantra regarding Cambridge and Oxford for maths admissions is that it's easy to get an offer from Cambridge but it's hard to meet, whereas it's hard to get an offer from Oxford but it's easy to meet. (For some definiton of easy.) I don't know that your circumstances will affect this general guide very much, unless you have reason to believe that your timing problems will be more of an issue for the MAT or STEP format. If your heart is set on Cambridge, I think you should apply there.

You need to make sure that your UCAS reference explains why your UMS scores are lower than they might otherwise be.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.