Turn on thread page Beta

Question about Burning an ISO/CD-R's (New to it) watch

ReputationRep:
    I've finally got an ISO of Windows Xp to fix my comp but now I need to buy a CD-R to burn it. I have a few Q's though:

The filesize is 707.47 mb - will it fit on a 700mb CD or do I need the 800mb?
    What type should I get?
    How do I find out if the drive will burn to 800mb, I've heard it might not?
    Can you buy just one CD-R or do you need to buy them in bulk?
    Does ASDA sell them?

Out of curiosity, is 707.47MB the right size for an XP SP2 ISO? Thanks for the help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knight-Errant)
    I've finally got an ISO of Windows Xp to fix my comp but now I need to buy a CD-R to burn it. I have a few Q's though:

What type should I get?
    Does ASDA sell them?

Out of curiosity, is 707.47MB the right size for an XP SP2 ISO? Thanks for the help.
    Can you actually get 800MB CDs, as far as I was aware you could only get 650MB and 700MB.

ReputationRep:
    Someone told me they have 800mb CD's...I dunno but the guy lives in the UK, I'll take a look. Someone help me with the CD Q's because I'd like to get the CD-R's as soon as poss.

ReputationRep:
    Well, If you get an app to open the ISO up, you may be able see if anything extra in it and get rid of it.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know what the app's called? I wanted to be able to see if it really was windows xp. And they do do 800mb cd-r's they're 90 minutes long but I don't know if they'd be in shops, but they're online at least.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know what the app's called? I wanted to be able to see if it really was windows xp. And they do do 800mb cd-r's they're 90 minutes long but I don't know if they'd be in shops, but they're online at least.
    I think pikozip and winrar can open ISOs.

ReputationRep:

What type should I get?
    Does ASDA sell them?

It will fit onto a 700MB disk. I use a program called CDRWIN 5.0 (not the 6.0 version!) and use that to burn my ISOs. Many of them are above 700MB but still fit on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    Can you actually get 800MB CDs, as far as I was aware you could only get 650MB and 700MB.
    It's possible (though dodgy) to "overburn" past the specified capacity on to areas of the CD that work but are surplus.

707MB... I didn't even know XP SP2 was available! I have an XP + SP1 CD and it's about 500MB I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    It's possible (though dodgy) to "overburn" past the specified capacity on to areas of the CD that work but are surplus.

707MB... I didn't even know XP SP2 was available! I have an XP + SP1 CD and it's about 500MB I think.
    you can get a release candidate of SP2

ReputationRep:
    That image will probably burn fine, ive burned images up to about 730meg with no afterburn. There is some kind of compression when you start the burning process.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jediknight007)
    It will fit onto a 700MB disk. I use a program called CDRWIN 5.0 (not the 6.0 version!) and use that to burn my ISOs. Many of them are above 700MB but still fit on.
    I was using CDRWIN before (a few weeks ago) to extract an ISO from a CD but it wasn't picking it up. Is that the problem with the 6.0 version? I remember using it years ago and it worked fine (earlier version of CDRWIN obviously). I'm thinking of using a Program called ROXIO.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 23, 2004
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.