Quite Precisely, Just How Much Real Free Time Do You Have At University?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    Let's just say a course has 25% lectures and seminars and stuff. The other 75% is self-study.

    Of course there is Real free time, for example for everyday life tasks and Social life and having breaks during studying.

    How many hours per day in general, do university students have real free time where you could do anything you wanted?
    :angelwings:
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    As Opposed To Virtual Free Time?
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    Depends on each individual really
    Offline

    3
    ReputationRep:
    As much as you want.

    Especially if you're studying Geography and aren't averse to getting a third.
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    Later years Medicine has a bit, I think. Engineering is just crazy timetabling.

    Stuff like French & Italian, I've seen people just be pimps around campus all year long, then catch up by going on a drinking and literature tour of the Riviera. Srsly like 4 hours a week contact time
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the answers. I forgot that people also do part-time jobs. There must be plenty of time, but the learning time has to be done smartly, I think. And yeah, it does depend on the individual.
    Offline

    3
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiritsugu)
    Let's just say a course has 25% lectures and seminars and stuff. The other 75% is self-study.

    Of course there is Real free time, for example for everyday life tasks and Social life and having breaks during studying.

    How many hours per day in general, do university students have real free time where you could do anything you wanted?
    :angelwings:
    Hello ,

    In terms of 'real free time' it does depend on the individual and their course - personally I probably have around 5-8 hours a day of free time. Depending on the day, what modules I'm doing and what not. It's hard to put a specific number on it to be honest.

    Good luck
    Offline

    3
    ReputationRep:
    It's measured in 'contact hours', ie. the number of hours of formal teaching per week that you will have scheduled, for lectures and seminars. On average, as little as 5 or 6 hours per week.

    The rest is up to you: study time, sleep, socialising, sport, clubs, activities, nicking other people's cutlery, borrowing traffic bollards, seeing how many people you can fit into a tiny student room, queuing at the library to get something printed, waiting at a bus stop, trying to erase any social media evidence of Friday night, worrying about where you're going to live next year. Usual stuff.
    Online

    3
    ReputationRep:
    depends on how you work and what course

    I had around 10 hours contact time and probably averaged another 10-15 hours of study a week - but that was an average, some weeks I did nothing else and others I worked until 10 in the library every day... during exam period I probably did about 40 hours a week
    Offline

    3
    ReputationRep:
    Personally, very little.
 
 
 
Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Wake up and smell the...
Useful resources

Articles:

Freshers guidePreparing for universityGuide to Freshers' WeekCity and nightlife guidesAlcohol guide for freshersStaying safe at uniBudgeting and financeStudent foodTravel and getting aroundUniversity study tipsHow to write your dissertation in just four weeksA week in the life of a uni student

Sponsored features:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Canterbury Christ Church University logo

Canterbury Christ Church University

Discover more about this community-focused university

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick link:

Unanswered uni life threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.