What do you do when your parents argue?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    my parents seperated for years now come back together (i didnt think it was a good idea but my mum insisted, oh how she made her and our lives so much harder)

now they have arguments which last days, then they go back to normal, then again later. to be honest i used to care and ask why but now im exhausted about it and dont want it to be my business anymore. but i'd be lying if i say it doesnt bug me.
    so what do you do? or would do?
    assuming everyone has not-so-perfect parents.

Depends on your relationship with them. I suspect they wont listen to you or about the effect. If they dont care then I wouldnt bother trying. In that case id be focusing on my work ro make sire I escaped to uni and left them to it. Dont ask and keep your head down unless theres violence or lots of crting. Alos protect your sibling if you have any. Beyond that headphones and shut the door.

ReputationRep:
    Partner with the one who is in the right over the topic they're arguing about

ReputationRep:
    Get my fap on.

ReputationRep:
    I laugh, but not at their faces

ReputationRep:
    I scream, cry and intervene, (because they usually hit each other)...
    Even though I'm the one who ends up getting hurt, but as long my parents are okay.

ReputationRep:
    I just burst into the room and say "Look you guys, I know I'm a dick sometimes but you can't abort a 26 year old!!!".

ReputationRep:
    I just tend to not get involved, as you grow up you realise they're humans and they're not always going to get on but for their own reasons they're still together. I'll just go to my room or go on my phone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reachin4TheStars)
    I scream, cry and intervene, (because they usually hit each other)...
    Even though I'm the one who ends up getting hurt, but as long my parents are okay.
    That is painful to read, do you have any siblings you can talk to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinkberry_y)
    That is painful to read, do you have any siblings you can talk to?
    Yupp, that's my life for ya I still try to keep my chin up. My mum often stops communication with my dad, and I'm like the messenger in between them. But oh well, I try to keep the peace Nope, I had one older brother but he ain't a brother to me, he ain't really bothered whether I live or die.

ReputationRep:
    Yupp, that's my life for ya I still try to keep my chin up. My mum often stops communication with my dad, and I'm like the messenger in between them. But oh well, I try to keep the peace Nope, I had one older brother but he ain't a brother to me, he ain't really bothered whether I live or die.
    It's none of my business but have they ever considered divorcing? You just keep looking forward to the day where you can move out and go to uni, to start the rest of your life. Use that as motivation to ace your grades

ReputationRep:
    not my parents as i dont have a dad anymore but my mum and brother usually fight a lot, i'd want to intervene and stop them but i learned that it better if i leave them alone, thankfully their fights are never physical so i let them fight it out and cool off after, but theres been days where i just cry non stop because of it

ReputationRep:
    Leave them to it. It used to bother me when I was younger but now I realise they have been married longer than I have been alive so they must know what they're doing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinkberry_y)
    It's none of my business but have they ever considered divorcing? You just keep looking forward to the day where you can move out and go to uni, to start the rest of your life. Use that as motivation to ace your grades
    Nope, i fear my mum has a bipolar disorder but yeah my dad can deal with it okay. I always look forward to that day! & I will do

ReputationRep:
    When I was a kid I threw things at my da. And then he threw me lmao.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0to100)
    When I was a kid I threw things at my da. And then he threw me lmao.
    LOL but that must'a hurt bruv

ReputationRep:
    LOL but that must'a hurt bruv
    Yes..it's not actually funny. But he's gone now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    my parents seperated for years now come back together (i didnt think it was a good idea but my mum insisted, oh how she made her and our lives so much harder)

now they have arguments which last days, then they go back to normal, then again later. to be honest i used to care and ask why but now im exhausted about it and dont want it to be my business anymore. but i'd be lying if i say it doesnt bug me.
    so what do you do? or would do?
    assuming everyone has not-so-perfect parents.
    Sounds exactly like my parents and me. It exhausts me and I block them out, but deep down, I know it hurts/annoys me. They argue a lot, so I am used to it now

ReputationRep:
    Headphones. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Nothing really.. just watch TV and close doors. I step in if I have to or try to defuse the situation but can't do that all the time.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.