The Student Room Group
Ulster University
Ulster University
Visit website

Primary PGCE Coleraine 2017-18

Hi,

I am applying this year for the Primary PGCE in Coleraine for 2017 entry and just wanted to link in with others who were applying, particularly those who have applied before. I applied last year and got through the story telling stage to the interview/ tests stage, but failed at the interview.

Any tips/ info/ support will be welcome!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi cmca86! I am the exact same, I think we had both chatted on a forum last year too? I didn't make it past the interview. Total nightmare. Really wish I could get in but now I'm terrified to apply again after the interview last year!!
Ulster University
Ulster University
Visit website
Reply 2
Yes I remember your name from last year- hello! :smile: It's def tough thinking about going through it all again! I found the interview awful to be honest. Do you have any other options like going to England?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
I found it awful too, I had done so much prep and the questions were just rubbish and weren't what I was expecting at all! Im seriously considering applying for a couple of places in England this year along with coleraine so at least I have a plan B! I also think I might not feel so much pressure about getting into coleraine if I have other options. What about you?
Reply 4
I have 2 kids so after much consideration i know I def could not go to away to England. Im thinking of applying to Queens as my back up, for English post-primary. Edge Hill in Lpool is supposed to be good if you'd thought of going there?

Totally felt the same about interview, also did loads of prep but found the questions a bit random. Also nerves took over!
Reply 5
yeah thats a good plan, I know a few people who went to Queens to do English post-primary as they didn't get into Coleraine. I have my heart set on Primary I'm afraid :frown: Yes, I'm thinking of applying to Edge Hill and Manchester...although the interview processes sound even scarier than Coleraine! I'm awful at interviews. I just wish the process for Coleraine was a bit quicker too, the months of waiting around are horrible...
Reply 6
Hi guys, I'm applying this year for the first time. Coleraine is my first choice.
Have any of you got any tips for me for the actual application? Are there any key words or anything that I should make sure to put in?

@lilysitt like you, I have my heart set on primary, always have. I really really hope to get into Coleraine!
Reply 7
Hi Julia! I also have my heart set on primary but the competition is so fierce for Coleraine & I know quite a few primary teachers who are secondary trained so it's my back up. We were told last year there was nearly 500 applicants for 32 places in Coleraine, just to give you an idea!

Not sure about buzz words for the application, think I wrote things like I am ready for the challenge of teaching, & about the different skills/ qualities I have gained over the years through my experiences in the workplace & in volunteering for children (eg patience, passion, organisation). I also talked a little about the curriculum & my experiences in school. And my experience as a parent too. Type it out in a word document 1st & copy & paste in because there's quite low word limits & it took me a lot if editing to get it to fit.

Lillysitt are you just sending more or less the same application this year? I dont really have anything new to add to mine!
Reply 8
Hi Julia! Not really too sure about key words, your personal statement is so short so it's just about getting in as much information about your experience and passion as possible!

Cmca86, yes, I have applied twice and I just submitted the same application both years! And I will be submitting the same this year as I don't have anything else to add or change! Will probably just have a read through and re word some bits and pieces.

Have you started thinking about stories yet?
Reply 9
Ah that's good to know then lilysitt! :smile: No haven't really thought yet tbh, work is mad atm. I did Jack & the Beanstalk last year and found it good doing a fairytale-type story as I get really nervous so it was easy to remember what comes next if you know what I mean. If we could just tell a story to group of children I would be grand lol! What about you?
Reply 10
I think I had thought of doing The Three Little Pigs as well last year so if I don't get a chance to think of anything else then I will be doing that!
I know, I would be the same! Its difficult because it is so vague, I find it so hard to choose a suitable story because you just don't know what they're looking for! I did a story last year that related to a lesson, so I was teaching something at the same time, but I think I might do one that is more entertaining this year. Did you use props?
Reply 12
Yes, I had 'magic beans' and a puppet thing. I actually don't think the story matters as much as how you tell it....but who knows!
Hi guys, thanks for getting back to me!

It seems such a long, scary process. Do we apply through UCAS or through Ulster University's webpage as well? I'm not too sure about where to begin to be honest but I'd love to just get my application sent so I can focus on uni at the minute, I'm in final year at Magee.

I have no idea what story I would do, I have a little sister who is 9 and a nephew who is 7 so I'm going to practice with them lol and try to find out what keeps them entertained.

Does everyone sort of get through to story telling or do some people get sent away just by their application?
Reply 14
No, as far as I know there were lots of people who didnt get through to story telling (def some on this forum didn't get through to story telling). With 500 ish applicants I can understand why they cant see everyone. You apply through University of Ulster website portal just. Think you'll apply to unis in England/ Scotland too? X
Wow, that's such a huge number for such little spaces! I'm getting married in summer 2018 so I don't fancy being overseas leading up to my wedding to be honest :frown: I'm applying for Stranmillis early years PGCE too so I'm hoping to get one of them otherwise I don't know what I'll do. I'll probably still apply to England and Scotland but really don't want to go.

Are you applying elsewhere? X
Reply 16
No, I'm married (to a teacher!) & have 2 kids, nearly 6 & nearly 3, so not really an option for me now. I was away at uni in England the year leading up to my wedding, it actually was fine, but I was in my final year of a Ba Joint Hons in Eng & History, so not as hardcore as a PGCE hehe! X
Hey everyone! I am also applying to Coleraine and also applied last year and didn't make it past the interview stages, which were so flipping gruelling but I am also going to apply away to take a little bit of pressure off myself. Do you know if we do a PGDE in Scotland if that covers to teach us here in Northern Ireland? Would love to apply to Edinburgh and Aberdeen :smile:
Hi there, I've just applied to Coleraine for their primary PGCE for the first time. Does anyone know roughly how long to expect from sending off your application before you hear back?

Thank you
Reply 19
You'll probably hear either in Dec or Jan whether youve got through to the storytelling bit & then anywhere from Feb- start of April for the interview & tests. There seemed to be no real order to things eg some people had 1 stafe in Dec & 2nd stage in March, others it was Dec & Jan, others it was Feb & March!

Quick Reply

Latest