Maths at Durham... hit or miss? Watch

Sophieeeee
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hey there everyone!
I was just wondering, because I'm thinking of applying for next year, whether anyone who's doing maths at Durham or knows much about it could tell me a bit about the course and just about Durham in general. What were the offers you were given, how is the teaching etc... Oooh and what's the social scene in Durham like? 'Cause I like to party
Any replies would be greatly appreciated
Soph x
Christo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've never really understood how people expect to get useful responses about teaching at university. Having only been taught at one place, it's hard to judge! I've never had any problems with the teaching so far, some lecturers are class, a few are just crap. I guess it's the same everywhere. I think they're getting rid of a rubbish first year module called "Reasoning" which no one really enjoyed (well, not at the time anyway) so that's pretty decent.

On the social side, 12,000 undergrads bundled into a very small city is bound to be pretty cool, and for bigger clubs Newcastle and other cities are always close.

Oh and I got AAB offer, but that was for '05 entry. Are you doing further maths?
Sophieeeee
Thanks for your post
I am indeed doing further maths, but only the AS level as the availability at my school is pretty poor. Did you do it at A-level?
Christo
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Nah, I didn't. I imagine it would help quite a lot with the first term's work though.
JennyL
Report 11 years ago
Back in 02 I got an ABB offer (with AB in maths / fmaths). Personally I enjoyed it, especially in 3rd/4th year when you get a lot more freedom to choose what you study. 1st year also has the option of doing modules in other departments, if that interests you. I loved Durham, especially during my years in college. A lot of maths students get first / 2:1s and the workload is small compared to other subjects too!

Jen x
Christo
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by JennyL)
Back in 02 I got an ABB offer (with AB in maths / fmaths). Personally I enjoyed it, especially in 3rd/4th year when you get a lot more freedom to choose what you study. 1st year also has the option of doing modules in other departments, if that interests you. I loved Durham, especially during my years in college. A lot of maths students get first / 2:1s and the workload is small compared to other subjects too!

Jen x
Did you do any III/IV modules in your 3rd year? If so, were they much tougher than the regular III ones?
Applying4Maths
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think I read somewhere they are now giving offers of AAB with As in Maths & Further Maths. Presumably this would translate to AAA for those without Further Maths, but I don't know that for sure.
Sophieeeee
Eeeeek I hope the AAA offer thing isn't true... more pressure that way.
Jelkin
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
In 2006, 49% of maths finalists got firsts. :eek:
Danny_777
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Jelkin)
In 2006, 49% of maths finalists got firsts. :eek:
I hate people that do subjects that actually have answers. Grr. I envy their stupid mathmo asses off.
Christo
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Not everything has an answer.
sarbruis
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Christo)
Not everything has an answer.
All the exam questions have absolute answers, though, don't they? I've never done any theoretical maths, so I don't know how it works when you get that far into things.
Christo
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by sarbruis)
All the exam questions have absolute answers, though, don't they? I've never done any theoretical maths, so I don't know how it works when you get that far into things.
Well, yes, there is a solution which would get you 100%; although it's quite easy to go through a question and reach the required conclusion, but having missed several steps along the way.
ssmoose
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I followed first year maths despite now diing natural science and was very impressed with the majority of the teaching. Durham's social scene is a main reason I chose it, and from discussion with people at other univerisities feel that I can say the average Durhamite has a better social life than those at other universities.
I was given an AAB offer for 2006 entry. I got AABDc in my A/AS Levels. I also got a 2 in STEP II. I also held offers from Warwick, Manchester, Southampton and Exeter.
Christo
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
What modules are you mathmos doing this coming year?

Me...
Mathematical Biology
Decision Theory
Galois Theory
Representation Theory and Modules
Differential Geometry
Mathematical Finance

I might go along to Algebraic Geometry for a bit to see what it's like.
Applying4Maths
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I am doing...
Complex Analysis
Linear Algebra
Analysis in Many Variables
Codes and Geometric Topology
Probability and Actuarial Mathematics
Mathematical Physics
ssmoose
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Complex Analysis
Linear Algebra
Analysis in Many Variables
Sooz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm doing
Electromagnetism
General Relativity
Dynamical Systems
Continuum Mechanics
Quantum Mechanics
Differential Geometry

Almost a Physics degree really!
Christo
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Sooz)
I'm doing
Electromagnetism
General Relativity
Dynamical Systems
Continuum Mechanics
Quantum Mechanics
Differential Geometry

Almost a Physics degree really!

Oh dear. That would kill me.
M1ke
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Sophieeeee)
Oooh and what's the social scene in Durham like? 'Cause I like to party
Don't let anyone tell you it's anything but awesome. We don't have any super-clubs, sure, but we've got enough to go out most nights of the week and not get bored. If you really are a machine then Newcastle is near by, but I've been out once there. The main attractiveness of the Durham social scene has to be the colleges and their JCRs. The JCR of a college is entirely student run, has its own bar and will hold social events (from formal meals to days of music and drinking to outings) throughout the year. Wheras in other Universities the social scene is entirely dictated around how much effort you yourself will put in to go somewhere, at Durham you have people to provide the fun right on your doorstep, and you can get involved and help yourself, to whatever degree you wish.

I can't tell you anything about maths, as I failed my first year Engineering Maths module and am resitting it this week
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (22)
25.88%
No - I got the required grades (52)
61.18%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (11)
12.94%

Watched Threads