The Student Room Group

Should I do accounting or banking?

My aim is to become a finance director even a CFO one day. Which path would give me the best chance of achieving this? I know that with the big4 I can get an ACA and with banking I don't- so would audit at a big 4 be the best choice? But on the other hand I have seen that many CFOs at big blue chip companies come from a banking background. Also, banking might have better exit opportunities to other jobs in case I change my mind.

But then again, audit does tend to require lower working hours and is pleas stressful.
Original post by YoFadda
My aim is to become a finance director even a CFO one day. Which path would give me the best chance of achieving this? I know that with the big4 I can get an ACA and with banking I don't- so would audit at a big 4 be the best choice? But on the other hand I have seen that many CFOs at big blue chip companies come from a banking background. Also, banking might have better exit opportunities to other jobs in case I change my mind.

But then again, audit does tend to require lower working hours and is pleas stressful.

If you want to be a CFO then do any career path where you get the ACA (industry internal finance, audit, transactions, corporate finance). Transactions or corporate finance is good because it allows you to switch to banking later.

The only CFOs from a banking background tend to be the CFOs of global banks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Commercial Paper
If you want to be a CFO then do any career path where you get the ACA (industry internal finance, audit, transactions, corporate finance). Transactions or corporate finance is good because it allows you to switch to banking later.

The only CFOs from a banking background tend to be the CFOs of global banks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not necessarily, the fortune 500 has a decent array of ex-banker CFOs. Usually they come from the finance departments, or corporate development.
Depends. You are obviously going to have to work hard to get there and for years and years if you ever do. See which kind of jobs that are more entry level, first step of the ladder, there are in each field and see which interests you.

I work for a Bank and I've worked with accountants, my brother is interning as an accounts assistant right now and I have friends who are in that field too. Typical entry level accounting seems like one of the most boring jobs in the world. Tax/finance seems a bit more interesting. Banking is definitely more interesting and arguably more challenging/fast paced IMO at least entry level i've found.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending