What is Birmingham like to visit and live in?

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend down in Birmingham who I'm considering going to visit for a weekend, can anybody who lives there recommend me good places to go and places to avoid? I would really appreciate it in advance to plan my activities

ReputationRep:
    What part of Birmingham would you be stopping in? I would say check out the city centre if you only stopping for the weekend. There are plenty of shops/bars/clubs/places to eat.

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham is pretty good but some areas are terrible like sparkhill and alum rock.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sdotd)
    Birmingham is pretty good but some areas are terrible like sparkhill and alum rock.
    Was fully thinking that myself haha, just didn't want to be too upfront

ReputationRep:
    Prepare for the accent.

"Sounds like a victim. Not incompetent...just...unfortunate ." - David Mitchell

Alum Rock is beauts.

ReputationRep:
    Brum is a dump. best thing in it is the roads out of there.

Lived there for ten years saw enough of it last a life time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by howardwicks1)
    What part of Birmingham would you be stopping in? I would say check out the city centre if you only stopping for the weekend. There are plenty of shops/bars/clubs/places to eat.
    They live in Solihull, wherever that is

Is there anywhere particular noteworthy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BioChemWizard)
    Prepare for the accent.

"Sounds like a victim. Not incompetent...just...unfortunate ." - David Mitchell

Alum Rock is beauts.
    The accent isn't that bad imho, I find the scouse one to be more annoying personally.

But thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)

Solihull is a great area

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Basically, the south is good, the north is bad. Check out Broad Street, but regardless of area don't go out unaccompanied at night, there are way too many junkies.

ReputationRep:
    Take it from a native brummie: it's a shithole and the nicest parts are on the outskirts. Only good thing about it is the nightlife. Solihull is nice but the people there are stuck up knobs. I only have one more year living here and then off to uni, thank god!

ReputationRep:

Not quite how much there is to do in Solihull, its a nice enough area but I don't find myself there often!
    In the city centre you have the Bullring shopping centre, the custard factory which has vintage shops and the like, the oasis market for the more unique items. Too many pubs and stuff to name in the city centre haha. Just go to broadstreet and you will find something that looks decent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sdotd)
    Solihull is a great area
    Thanks, that's great to know

What's so bad about Alum Rock?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGreatPumpkin)
    Basically, the south is good, the north is bad. Check out Broad Street, but regardless of area don't go out unaccompanied at night, there are way too many junkies.
    Thank you, will definitely keep in mind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bassbabe)
    Take it from a native brummie: it's a shithole and the nicest parts are on the outskirts. Only good thing about it is the nightlife. Solihull is nice but the people there are stuck up knobs. I only have one more year living here and then off to uni, thank god!
    Cheers Where you going to uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by howardwicks1)
    Not quite how much there is to do in Solihull, its a nice enough area but I don't find myself there often!
    In the city centre you have the Bullring shopping centre, the custard factory which has vintage shops and the like, the oasis market for the more unique items. Too many pubs and stuff to name in the city centre haha. Just go to broadstreet and you will find something that looks decent.
    Ooh thank you I will have to visit them The Oasis market sounds interesting

ReputationRep:
    Also stay away from these areas:
    Small Heath
    Sparkbrook
    Sparkhill
    Bordesley Green
    Hockley
    Alum Rock
    Washwood Heath
    Saltley
    Aston
    Nechelles

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, that's great to know

What's so bad about Alum Rock?
    I know a couple people who were beaten and mugged in alum rock

ReputationRep:
    also while in brum, try and go to a mixed grill like soho tavern or merry maid. they are really good

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 28, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.