Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello fellow historians,
    I am just wondering whether it will be frowned upon if I mention Suzannah Lipscomb's programme "Hidden killers of the Tudor Home" with regards to how I've gone beyond the syllabus and how it's helped me further my understanding of the common man in Tudor times. I am also mentioning Plowden's novel "Tudor Women" as evidence.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drriversong)
    Hello fellow historians,
    I am just wondering whether it will be frowned upon if I mention Suzannah Lipscomb's programme "Hidden killers of the Tudor Home" with regards to how I've gone beyond the syllabus and how it's helped me further my understanding of the common man in Tudor times. I am also mentioning Plowden's novel "Tudor Women" as evidence.
    If it's balanced out with more traditional sources then it would be fine. But if the only thing you're mentioning is a TV programme and a novel then it's a really bad idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    If it's balanced out with more traditional sources then it would be fine. But if the only thing you're mentioning is a TV programme and a novel then it's a really bad idea.
    Thank you for your advice-I really appreciate it I haven't just mentioned a programme but I thought that it would be good to include a plethora of sources to demonstrate my passion (dw I haven't used that word )

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Juno. Mentioning something in your PS is an invitation to be asked about it at interview, and the tutors will probably want to see evidence that you've been inspired to explore the themes of the TV series and Plowden's book in a more academic context. In particular, Plowden seems to have had some quite negative reviews re her lack of detail about the lives of "commoners", given that her book's subtitled "Queens and Commoners". So some critical analysis of that would be due as well.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drriversong)
    Thank you for your advice-I really appreciate it I haven't just mentioned a programme but I thought that it would be good to include a plethora of sources to demonstrate my passion (dw I haven't used that word )
    Then that will be fine, as it's obvious you can use other sources as well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.